by tooth & claw dragons

where darkness and chaos reign...
Welcome to the land of dragons and elves; demons and death. Here, you may weave tales of all creatures, great and small - magic is found in everything, and many worlds one can explore are open for discovery. By Tooth And Claw Dragons, often shortened to BTACD, is an original high fantasy role-play site with over eighty species and ten solid worlds, fifteen years strong. Freedom of creativity is boundless within the established lore, and member suggestions are not only accepted, but encouraged. We release new content monthly, and are always expanding our wondrous Realms. Come and play with magic, honor the great gods, and beware the balance that governs all...

Add Reply

Unburdened Promises
PLAYERS INVOLVED: @SherniKaur & @NyteDaez

SETTING: Uncharted location within Felnova - on the way to Vistriana

WEATHER: A dark, chilling night which begets nightmares.

TIME: Several weeks before current time

CHARACTERS INVOLVED: L'Zayn & Finnigan

--------------------
Wyatt Calaeus Human Junior Adventurer looking to become stronger.
Arris Hector - Mysterious Undead kid looking for answers.
Aterax Demon/Human Hybrid Godward of Pestilence looking to cause strife.
Rhexic Pureblood vampire lazy in every respect.
Finnigan Human kid sacrificed to the Dark Five by parents.
^
It had been... a harrowing experience. What was once thought to be a lonely, but loving environment secured by stability and warmth, had turned out to be nothing but the opposite. The fury that could be discovered in others riddled what was known and relied upon and instead exchanged such feelings with regret and despair in kind. There was no longer a means to go back to what was - only the future was left. Were memories meant to burden? Though they reminded one of a simpler time, they often meandered themselves down the eventual path leading to such horrible truths.

The truth in this case, was that of loneliness.

Swallowing shrouding, heavy... It consumed and drowned everything he knew and thought he'd held dear. It had been days since the incident which had wrought wrong upon him and turned his life upside down, yet it still held a firm grip upon him, refusing to let go. He'd been unable to do much, let alone convey his thoughts and feelings of the matter onto others. Those of his hometown all gazed upon him in pity - the community itself having been much better family than what he'd thought he was apart of. But none could hope to understand, much less reach out and bring him back from the brink.

He was a mess. Finnigan could feel it, acknowledged it. But what more could be done? The moment he'd been found in the aftermath, he'd taken to curling himself into a ball that would refuse to move, speak or eat. He'd heard those closest to him mention something about an orphanage, but even that hadn't managed to spurn a response from his depressed form. And so, his hometown had arranged to ship him away, far away, to a place that would help him to regain trust in others. Help him to understand that his very life wasn't a lie.

--------------------
^
L’zayn, Goddess of Millirand; of Healing, Sorrow, Comfort, Warmth; and of Unicorns, had awoken.

The war had stirred her from her seclusion; her heart beat like a drum, her blood roaring in her ears. People were suffering—her people were suffering—and she had been slumbering while they were slaughtered.

L’zayn could not stand for this; she could not watch while they screamed and died by the thousands. But she would put an end to this bloodshed, to this strife. No longer would they believe that L’zayn had abandoned them; no longer would they invoke her name in vain and find that she did not answer.

She was L’zayn, goddess of healing, and she would do everything in her power to stop the people of Millirand from ever feeling so hopeless again; she would mend their wounds, comfort their sorrows, give them warmth.

But most of all, she would protect them from harm.

—————

There was never silence.

While she roamed an uncharted region of Felnova, L’zayn missed nothing; she saw, heard, and felt everything. Birds chirped their morning songs, and forests woke to tell their sleepy stories. So when she felt the sadness of a lone boy, she was not surprised in the slightest. Unperturbed but curious, she calmly glided toward the source of the emotion; it was familiar, somehow. And then she realized who he was, for her limitless mind conjured a memory: L’zayn blessing the child with new life. Finnegan was his name, and his existence had been a bleak one ever since he had been brought back to life.

What was he doing here, of all places? Finnegan sought something, L’zayn knew that, but she did not know what it was.

Taking pity on the lad, the goddess morphed into her secondary form—a mournful maiden cloaked in black, with a veil that was lifted out of her face. Her skin was white and opalescent; her eyes were a radiant amethyst, and her hair was a shade of gold so brilliant, it almost glowed in the sunlight. To Finnegan, she appeared to him as an ethereal apparition, radiating reiatsu.

“Finnegan, my child,” L’zayn consoled. Her voice was young, yet it was deep and melodious. Her aura would put Finnegan at ease almost instantly. “Why does your heart bleed so?”

This post has been edited by SherniKaur: Apr 12 2018, 05:37 PM
^
They had to have been on the road for quite some time. More than a few hours at worst, a couple of minutes at best laying in the back of cargo carrier pulled by a beast he didn't much care for. And yet, it all felt the same to the lad. Every moment bled into another, every second passed him by without him noticing - his very own timeline felt separate from the realms themselves and what they could offer his now meagre little existence. Nothing mattered anymore - it was all over. His life had already ended before it had even had the chance to begin. He'd died that day, the flames taking everything that he was with them, reducing them to nothing more than ash.

The tears which flowed freely from closed eyelids were the only sign of the child's suffering - and yet no one around to help ease his pain. But yet, a hallowed light of beautiful gold shone from within the darkness and lit up all things in the immediate area. While the boy's eyes remained firmly shut to the wider world, his woeful thoughts were paused in their train of thought, his body no longer curled tightly in on itself. A voice called to him, one of firmness but also beauty. It commanded respect and most importantly, his attention.

Such an otherworldly presence...!

Opening a pair of dulled red eyes marred with tear streaks, he turned his gaze to the other side of the cargo carrier, and there she was. The youth almost didn't dare push his luck by gazing upon her form - especially since she was wasting her valuable time upon one who should have died that day. Even now, the familiar warm glow was all he needed to recall his very death -as well as the before and after- in vivid detail.

A few seconds passed with him unable to find an answer - then, righting himself before wiping the tears from his face- he gazed upon her once again. "I'm sorry... your grace. I didn't mean t-to burden you." Normally Finn went to great lengths to preserve his poker face, but what was the point in the face of a God? What was the point of anything anymore when he was supposed to be dead? "M-My heart no longer knows the love of father, nor mother. I am alone in life, with no one to share triumph or failure with."

His urge to turn away from the god and continue with his wretched existence was thankfully overshadowed by her very radiance and glory. Such palpable reiatsu was unlike any he'd seen before and almost overcame his grief by mere presence. And yet such feelings wouldn't leave him. Perhaps they never would - like the tides of the wild oceans themselves, the despair he felt could never be erased. Echoing within his charred heart for the remainder of eternity. "Why do you... worry for me? Surely there is another more worthy?"

--------------------
^
At his words, she scoffed. “I take care of my own, dearest,” L’zayn replied, reaching out to tenderly caress his face. Her slender finger brushed a tear away from his cheek, easing the redness from his eyes and the stuffiness from his nose. “And your bleeding heart called to me.”

Indeed, Finnegan’s grief had pierced L’zayns heart, and her innate desire to comfort, console, and heal had been roused; she wished to ease his pain.

How would she do so? Reconciling with his parents would only cause the lad more trouble than it was worth, and it was most probable that he wanted nothing to do with them. Therefore, L’zayn mused, the best solution is to give the child a new family.

Her amethyst eyes were full of kindness as she spoke: “Your mother and father proved that they are not worthy of your love. There is no rhyme or reason in thinking about them a moment longer; remove them from your thoughts. But fear not, child, for I will find you a family that cares for you as if you were their own son.”
^
Her kind words, the love with which she spoke with - hadn't this been the very displays he'd been hoping for from his parents? The very fact that her actions alone conveyed more thought towards him than any his parents had ever made almost made him will himself into the void itself. Cast away for the rest of eternity within the abyss. Yet, something held him from thinking and feeling so - it was her. His mind was slowly clearing, it was minute changes initially but it soon became a gradual force of light overtaking his very mindscape. As she spoke and wiped away his tears, he could feel himself relaxing, becoming much lighter - elated, even.

It was pure bliss unlike any other.

With his mind clearing by the second, the boy felt his sniffling slowly begin to subside in the wake of her touch. Her words truely touched home - not just because they were the truth, but because doing so would mean a literal end to his identity. His background, his upbringing, his entire way of life were all being asked to be tossed away in favor of something new. And yet, he couldn't bring himself to deny that a new family, one that might come to love him as much as he'd always wanted, sounded far too tempting to simply write off.

His voice almost betraying him in that moment, the brunet boy shuffled a little closer, hanging upon her every word. Could she really do that for him? Would she? What would the price for such kindness be? "Is... Is that alright? Am I so deserving of your help? I..." He almost let slip his woes of having one foot already in the grave, but he held his tongue for fear of disgracing the goddess who had chosen to shine such vibrant light upon him.

"What do I have to do?"

--------------------
^
Finnegan’s sincerity strummed L’zayns heart like a violin, and she pulled him into her arms. “I have met no one more worthy of a family than you, child,” she whispered in his ear, stroking his hair. “ And there is nothing that you have to do. Leave it all to me, and you will find yourself loved by an absolutely marvelous family who will never give you up—even for the realms themselves.”

It was not the lad’s fault that he had been born to unloving parents, and yet Finnegan felt the full brunt of their disregard of him. Because of their ignorance, an innocent child wept for something that he felt he would never have.

Have they no shame? thought L’zayn angrily. Do they not see the beauty of this wonderful child? She ought to pay those so-called ‘parents’ a visit.

But . . . Finnegan should decide whether or not she would do so. “However, before I leave,” she said, “I must ask you: Would you like justice exacted on your previous guardians? If I were to pay them a . . . visit, would I have your approval?”

This post has been edited by SherniKaur: Apr 22 2018, 04:27 PM
^
Her words were satisfying in and of themselves. It was almost as if she knew with what words to speak to calm his very soul - perhaps she did. Nonetheless, her sincerity flooded every fibre of his being and reignited within him a will to live once again. It was no longer a struggle to see what his future might look like, and such feelings were only amplified by the warmth she exposed him to by wrapping him into a hug. The very same kind he'd always hoped his parents would present him with someday.

He nestled into the warmth, circling his arms around the goddess' human-shaped waist and nestled his face into her stomach. Overcome with sudden ease and contentment, the youngster contemplated what she was actually offering. A new family, one who might love him as much as he'd always wanted for the rest of his days. He would likely be able to form a new identity of sorts through them and not to mention the time he'd spend with them possibly being completely filled with him learning things. The very suggestion that his new family would want him around and would properly take care of him, meant the world to him. His heart swelled three sizes bigger within his tiny chest.

And he didn't need to lift a single finger? It was all guaranteed?

Tears once more began to fall from his eyes but were absorbed into the beautiful deity's clothing almost instantly. How had he managed to deserve such a blessing? She was truly an existence deserving of nothing but praise and the highest of his adoration. "I... I have nothing to give in thanks. But I promise to always hold you in my thoughts for as long as I live." His muffled words surprisingly coming out pretty clear, despite him holding back oncoming sobs and while being stifled by the material of her garments.

The next words spoke surprised the boy, and he pulled himself away from her stomach just enough so he could see her face. Or rather, what he assumed was her face - the light which surrounded her form was incredibly intense. Justice? Upon his parents? "I..." He'd never given it much thought before. Why would he? To them, he were dead and long gone by now. Any sort of justice they deserved to befall them was something they had coming in spades. And yet... His heart wasn't in the place to want such a thing. Although it seemed they had felt nothing -perhaps even contempt for him- he'd only ever loved them as a growing young child should. He couldn't so much as hope to hold a grudge for their actions, even if it had cost him his very life.

"What... will you do when you meet them?" He didn't mean to imply that he didn't trust her or her actions, but he couldn't very well give her a definite answer without first knowing of her intentions. "Pl-Please don't hurt them. I... I still hold something for them in my heart." At that, his voice quietened considerably and he gazed down at his hands, no longer able to gaze up at the goddess' sheer majesty. "It would hurt me to know if something terrible happened to them."

--------------------
^
L’zayn’s amethyst eyes met the child’s, her eyes crinkling with amusement. “That is all I ask, dear.” She truly did believe that Finnegan was deserving of a family and would strive to find him one that would cherish him as if he was their own.

At his reply, L’zayn gently touched his chest, right above where his heart beat beneath his skin. Through his clothes, she felt the steady thrum of his lifeblood flowing through his body and a small smile graced her lips. The smallest of miracles can bring the greatest of joys, L’zayn thought to herself. “You have a large heart, Finnegan—larger than mine. Keep it as long as you can, for kindness is the best gift you can give to another being.” The Goddess released him from her arms and reached out to cup the side of his face. “I must go now. But I swear to you: You will have your family.”

L’zayn stood and kissed the lad’s head. “Be safe, my child,” she murmured against his hair. She took one step back, then two, all the while looking at Finnegan with nothing but warmth. “Remember—your heart is your biggest weapon. Never be afraid to use it.”

Then there was a flash of light, and the Goddess was gone.

As if she had never been.

^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply