by tooth & claw dragons

where darkness and chaos reign...
Welcome to the land of dragons and elves; demons and death. Here, you may weave tales of all creatures, great and small - magic is found in everything, and many worlds one can explore are open for discovery. By Tooth And Claw Dragons, often shortened to BTACD, is an original high fantasy role-play site with over eighty species and ten solid worlds, fifteen years strong. Freedom of creativity is boundless within the established lore, and member suggestions are not only accepted, but encouraged. We release new content monthly, and are always expanding our wondrous Realms. Come and play with magic, honor the great gods, and beware the balance that governs all...
Forum Rules Setting Information

All information on the current country can be found here:

Country of Vystriana

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

The Black Dragon
user posted image

PLAYERS INVOLVED: @Asreal @Fyfergrund
SETTING: Outskirts of Vystriana
WEATHER: Clear, sunny, warm
TIME: Current; Around noon
CHARACTERS INVOLVED: Demise (Asreal), Praetorian (Fyfergrund)

--------------------
Click on a character’s name to learn more about them!
Lykoth [Open], Demise [In use], Miranda [Reserved], Ranafa [in use], Mary Miss [Open], Caleb [Reserved], Victor [Open], Cassius [Reserved]
^
It was a fairly nice day. The sun was out and shining on verdant vegetation, the air was crisp, and the temperature was comfortably warm. All this contrasted with the sizable black dragon gliding over the outskirts of Vystriana, observing the view below with cold, derisive eyes. Now, several questions could be asked of this dragon: where was he headed? What was he looking for? The answer: a target.

Demise had been scoping out the outskirts for a while. The aim was to find someone vulnerable or even somewhat unintelligent, or anyone who could be manipulated, and bring them to a mountainous area in which he had combat advantage. He’d then kill them and add their corpse to his “necromantic army,” which in actuality consisted of only one zombie, a small, generic wolf that was currently on one leg and unable to be useful at all.

Just then he saw something glistening in the distance. At first he figured it was some sort of metallic monument or object, but as he flew closer he realized it was another dragon and approached it cautiously, opting not to speak until the metallic beast noticed him.

--------------------
Lykoth [Open], Demise [In use], Miranda [Reserved], Ranafa [in use], Mary Miss [Open], Caleb [Reserved], Victor [Open], Cassius [Reserved]
^
A set of even, dull, heavy footfalls accompanied Praetorian as the golem continued his untiring trek. Day and night both found him continuing to wander in search of Vystriana's true queen. He had stopped only to ask of what few people he crossed paths with where she might be. He had failed to learn where the true queen was, but he now knew there was a false one after several of her followers tried to destroy him.

He had left little of them behind.

Now, every so often, he stopped and let his sense expand, looking and listening for any nearby creatures. Sooner or later, he would find who he was looking for. It was during one of these moments when he heard the sound of wings approaching, and his head swiveled as he turned his unblinking gaze upon a dragon coming his direction. He rather ponderously turned to face the approaching dragon before speaking.

"Where is the queen? I must find the queen," he declared. "Do you know where I may find her?"
^
Demise nodded at the other dragon in acknowledgement. “Your queen…? Oh, you mean Queen Verridith.” This is perfect, he gleefully thought to himself. I’ll direct this idiot towards the mountains, where I’m best at fighting, and kill him for my army. Easy.

A small grin formed on his face. “She’s, um, right this way, my friend.” Demise motioned with his tail to a small group of mountains in the distance. “Saw her in passing the other day.”

--------------------
^
"Yes. I must find her," he confirmed, his gaze unwavering. However, he tilted his head slightly when the dragon called him 'friend'. It took him a brief moment to recall what the word meant.

"Friend? Do you know me?" he asked, briefly putting aside his need to find Verridith. But the moment passed when the dragon mentioned having seen her in the mountains in the distance. He stared at the distant mountains with great intensity.

"Slow going on the ground. Faster to fly," he mused. His metal wings unfolded with a slight scraping sound, and started to glow as he channeled reiatsu into them in preparation. Then he turned his gaze back towards the dragon. "I shall go by myself If I must, but your assistance would be most welcome."
^
“Oh, friend is just an expression…” Demise replied, a smile plastered on his face. “Of course. I’d be happy to assist. Heheh.”

He too beat his wings and lifted himself into the air from his perch, and without hesitation began to fly towards the mountains. He doesn’t even know what an expression is… I really scored! Demise was very confident in his capabilities now, though he doubted the metal dragon would go down without a fight. “So why are you looking for the Queen?” he called behind him as he flew.

--------------------
^
Praetorian's metal wings folded slightly, and his gaze lowered for a brief moment. He felt almost...disappointed not to have found somebody who knew who he was. But his ingrained sense of duty overwhelmed all else, and he spread his wings, and slowly, heavily, rose into the air, his gaze fixing upon the mountains ahead, occasionally flicking to his draconic guide.

"I exist to serve her. It was what i was created for. To serve her, I must find her," he replied, unaware of the treacherous thoughts within his guide's mind, and not questioning his good fortune.
^
“I see, I see. Well, I do hope you’re successful.”

Demise kept a wide smile plastered on his face as his wings sliced through the air. “Ahem. If you don’t mind me asking, what exactly... are you? I’ve been around for a long time and I’ve never seen a dragon like you.”

If I can get him to tell me what kind of being he is, I can exploit his weakness. This is like taking candy from a child! It was Demise who believed himself fortunate as he flew closer to his destination.

--------------------
^
Praetorian remained silent for a time, aside from the rhythmic beat of metal wings, as he considered the dragon's question. It was something he'd never considered before. And one he found he didn't know the answer to. He knew his own name, and he knew he must find and serve the true queen of Vystriana, but aside from that, he knew little.

"I do not know what I am. Or even where I came from. Perhaps the queen will know. Perhaps not," he stated, once again focusing on the mountains ahead. While he wasn't as fast as his draconic companion, still they drew ever nearer, and as they did, his anticipation grew.
^
“Yes, perhaps she’ll know,” Demise replied as they neared the mountains. When they finally arrived after a few more minutes, he began flying around each mountain’s peak, looking for a good place to begin his attack while feigning to look for the queen. “I saw her around here. Let me just find that place…” His red eyes locked onto a large ridge carved out into the side of a mountain in the center, and he deemed it adequate for his plan. Not perfect, but he could always fly if it got cramped.

Demise led Praetorian down onto the ridge, noting his metallic composition. “Alright, now she should be around here somewhere. I could have sworn I saw her glide down here.”

“However… you won’t be seeing your queen anytime soon,” he muttered as his warm, cheery smile quickly shifted into a sinister grin. Demise suddenly wheeled around to face Praetorian, his maw crackling with fire and his eyes emitting a bizarre stygian glow. “Idiot!” he roared and with all his might spewed the mouthful of white-hot fire he had brought up, a sizable gust of flame aimed at the metal dragon’s face.

--------------------
^
Unaware of the pending betrayal, Praetorian followed the black dragon down onto the ridge, landing heavily with a dull, metallic thump, and folded his wings as he gazed around. He paid little attention to the dragon until his words registered, and he turned his amethyst gaze towards the dragon just in time to receive a gout of flame to his face.

The air around his face shimmered with heat, but his metal body was largely unharmed, though he instinctively took a step back from the burning flames, and sudden assault. Immediately, his metal jaws parted, and a powerful stream of purple reiatsu shot at the treacherous dragon. "Traitor!" he bellowed, lurching into a thundering charge, intending to plow straight into the dragon, and crush him beneath his great weight.
^
Demise’s triumph was short-lived; as the fire cleared up he saw Praetorian, seemingly unharmed and certainly very angry. His grin quickly molded into an expression of shock, his eyes widening and his pupils shrinking slightly. Indeed, his adversary’s maw was open, about to fire a dreadful blast of violet reiatsu directly at him.

He beat his muscular wings against the air, lifting himself up and into the sky with one powerful stroke. The magical blast flew underneath him, narrowly missing and burning his underbelly, and he beat his wings once more to remove himself from the path of the oncoming opponent.

Demise growled through teeth gritted in pain and began to circle. “How ironic. A Vystrian dragon forced to serve he who seeks to kill their queen,” he taunted nervously. “You’ll make a fine addition to my army.” He suddenly stalled after moving in a half-circle around him and launched three white-hot fireballs at surprising speed, aiming just around him to try to catch any dodge he might make.

--------------------
^
The heavy metal golem skidded to a grinding, lurching halt as his headlong charge failed to connect with his much quicker opponent, who now took to the air. He circled around to face the dragon, letting the runes on his feet draw more energy into his body. When the sudden volley of fireballs came his way, he didn't flinch, or make any move to dodge out of their way.

He was too focused on his adversary.

So, as the fireballs flashed by him, aimed off center as they were, he fired off another gleaming lance of violet energy, then another, longer burst as he attempted to catch the dragon's wings and force him to the ground, wasting no more time on words, focusing entirely on destroying this enemy completely.
^
Demise cursed under his breath. How could the fire bombs have missed? Was this guy braindead? How couldn’t he have tried to dodge? Or… did he know the fireballs were off-center? He dismissed these thoughts, instead fixating on the scathing blasts of reiatsu coming his way, headed right towards his wings. He responded by folding his wings into his body, causing him to sharply drop and barely avoid the great blasts of magic. He felt the energy of the blasts flying past his back and cursed under his breath. Demise had picked what he thought to be an easy target, but it had clearly backfired.

He once more unfurled his wings and dove at Praetorian, claws extended in an attempt to grab his throat and drag him along the stone floor. “Die!

--------------------
^
Praetorian ceased firing blasts of reiatsu, keeping his feet planted as he allowed the runes on his feet to begin to replenish the energy he'd already expended between the flight to the mountains, and the blasts of energy he'd fired. But h kept his eyes unblinking fixed upon the black dragon. He'd come close to crippling the traitor, but the dragon was quick.

When the dragon abruptly dove towards him, the great golem made no move to try to avoid the onrushing claws aimed at his throat. Instead, he leaned back on his haunches and spread his own claws, and waited. As the black dragon slammed into him and seized him by the throat, some of the metal plates on his neck buckled and bent, but such damage was superficial.

As the impact drove him backwards and off balance, he lashed put with his own claws, attempting to seize hold of the black dragon. At the same time, the dragon's single word sparked the fragment of a memory of his past life. And his death. "I already did," he retorted before snapping at the black-scaled beast with powerful jaws.
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply