by tooth & claw dragons

where darkness and chaos reign...
Welcome to the land of dragons and elves; demons and death. Here, you may weave tales of all creatures, great and small - magic is found in everything, and many worlds one can explore are open for discovery. By Tooth And Claw Dragons, often shortened to BTACD, is an original high fantasy role-play site with over eighty species and ten solid worlds, fifteen years strong. Freedom of creativity is boundless within the established lore, and member suggestions are not only accepted, but encouraged. We release new content monthly, and are always expanding our wondrous Realms. Come and play with magic, honor the great gods, and beware the balance that governs all...
Forum Rules Setting Information

All information on the current country can be found here:

Land of Kidochi

Add Reply
New Poll

Harbinger of Discord
PLAYERS INVOLVED: @NyteDaez & @Elffri3nd

SETTING: Kidochi - Currently undisclosed location. The ground is pitch black, the grass is pure white, and the skies themselves are colored red. The usual.

WEATHER: Mostly clear of all weather, but there is a slight gust of wind billowing across the open land. Clouds are scarce in the sky.

TIME: Uncertain, assumed at some point during midday?

CHARACTERS INVOLVED: Dal (Elffri3nd) & Aterax (Nyte)

--------------------
Wyatt Calaeus Human Junior Adventurer looking to become stronger.
Arris Hector - Mysterious Undead kid looking for answers.
Aterax Demon/Human Hybrid Godward of Pestilence looking to cause strife.
Rhexic Pureblood vampire lazy in every respect.
Finnigan Human kid sacrificed to the Dark Five by parents.
^
It hadn't been very long since the portal had opened. Yet, the young boy remained crouched just above the alien soil on the balls of his feet. His hunched over form relatively relaxed despite their current circumstances. His amber eyes surveying all that they crossed from atop the hill they stood upon. This world was undoubtedly unfamiliar to him, he hadn't come across such a backwards realm in all sixteen years of his life. But yet, why did it all feel so... natural to him?

Turning his head to the left, a great tree of white brimming with a beauty unbecoming of it's clearly lifeless image loomed over them. It's lack of leaves seeming to communicate the state of the rest of the land that stretched out in every direction. Desolate, alone, waning... But also undying, ruthless, unwieldy. There were many words that could be used to describe what was laid out before him, but yet he didn't seem so interested in taking it all in. Well, for any longer than was necessary.

He could feel it - the pull, a tug, even. It called to him, yearned for him to act on it's behalf and put things into motion almost immediately. He certainly hadn't felt such an inkling just moments ago back in his home, yet the instinct felt so normal to him. Where was it trying to direct him - why? What would he gain by following this innate instinct to seek it out? Many questions filtered through his mind within mere moments, but the only outward indication he gave to his fellow visitor was a slight acknowledgement of his arrival.

"Almost feels like home." He muttered dejectedly. Not entirely sure if Dal had heard him speak at all, but at the same time wishing he had. Ever since his mother's passing, he felt understandably alone now - with nothing to call his own. All he had left, was the one positioned at his side. Yet, that very feeling had begun to ebb away almost immediately after setting foot into the realm of demons. And even more alarming was the sheer fact that the answer to such also seemed to be in the same direction his instincts directed him towards.

"Hey, uncle." He paused as he thought his question over and turned his up at the man. "You ever been here before?" And has mom, was what he really wanted to ask. But even voicing the rest of that question out loud would likely cause them both to wallow in their grief of her passing. And he really didn't want to risk it for the moment. He'd heard the realm of demons was an incredibly dangerous place to be for any wayward traveller, and who knew what kinds of danger wallowing in negative emotions might get them into.

Though, Aterax was incredibly surprised that they were even so much as able to breathe without bursting to flames. or something similar. He'd heard so many horrific tales of just that that he'd already been prepared for the worst. Perhaps those stories told back home had been nothing more than an exaggeration.

Standing up and dusting himself off, the young man placed his hands on his hips and faced the direction he felt the pull coming from, and spoke with a noticably toothy grin on his face. "Anywhere you wanna head to first, uncle? Or..."

--------------------
^
Dal had visited many places in the past, some very dark and sinister, some full of light and benevolent. He had been to those places in a very long time and he couldn't remember the last time he had visited the demon realm of Kurai. It was one of the places he would rather not revisit but it was completely necessary in order to take his beloved nephew back to his father.

Dal took in a deep breath and embraced all that the realm had to offer. One hand rested on the hilt of one of his swords. He didn't trust the residents of Kurai to be hospitable, especial if they were familiar with who he was. He nephew might not what he had done and what he truly looked like but some demons would.

He looked at his nephew and he could guess what he was going through being in this knew land and how it was affecting him. Dal could both feel a sort of tug but at the same time a feeling of rejection. "I've been here a few times, I might have a sort of bad reputation with the residents. Hopefully they don't remember me."

He looked around once more. Dal couldn't remember the way to Aterax father's. It had been a long time since he had last visited Kurai and he didn't do much sight seeing. They would have to relay on luck to find the right way. Dal actually hoped that his nephews intuition would lead them to where they needed to be. "I have no I wish to be. I would say the first thing to do would be to just start walking."

--------------------
-Blazeh defeated the elffri3nd 1/19/18-
-Mav was obliterated by the elffri3nd 1/19/18-
^
The man's reaction to the realm itself was less than ideal. While to Aterax, it felt familiar, almost as if he'd been multiple times before, Dal on the other hand looked like he couldn't wait to leave. Which was sort of a shame - but could he really blame him? The realm of demons was far from known for its hospitality. And while he wasn't certain on what his uncle's past consisted of, Aterax was sure that even the most daring of men wouldn't set foot within the realm by choice.

That said, Aterax was looking forward to what they might find. Even if they went back empty-handed, the experience of just being here at all was more than enough for him already. Not that he wanted to go back anytime soon. No, instead, he'd take as much of it all in as he could, and push himself that much further then he ever has before, if at all possible. There was something to learn about this realm: he could feel it. And he certainly wasn't about to leave without doing his best to find out what that something might be.

At his last remaining family member's response, Aterax quirked a brow in intrigue but didn't bother to press his luck. It was favourable enough that the man had opted to come with him at all. Digging even further into his past to open up more old wounds when they'd just arrived probably wasn't the smartest idea. Even though he was sure there was a lot more to the man then Aterax was currently aware of. "I guess we'll find out the hard way, huh."

He just hoped it wasn't something to do with his supposed birth father... Otherwise that would make things super awkward.

The teenager was pleased to hear that Dal didn't particularly feel like making too many stops. Probably due to his 'not-so-perfect' reputation within Kurai. But then that just meant that they could head in any direction. Namely, Aterax was free to follow his gut and find out what his instincts were trying to tell him. Find out what he was being lead towards as the next stage in his life. Suffice to say, he was looking forward to it. "In that case, let's book it in this direction! I just gotta see what all the fuss is about." Turning his body suddenly north-east of their current position, Aterax made it a point of heading off towards the nearest white tree.

"So... folks here friendly or what?" He grinned cheekily at that - already fully expecting the opposite to be true. However, if they were anything but, he still couldn't find a reason as to why they'd have to worry. They didn't exactly have anything worthwhile on them to steal and they certainly weren't significant enough to try anything with. They were nobody important in any of the realms. So he wasn't too worried about the risk of danger. Although... "Think we need to worry about any wild animals or something?"

--------------------
^
Dal followed behind his beloved nephew as he began to walk. On of his hands constantly resting on top of a sword. Aterax seemed so thrilled to be in the realm but Dal was wary of it. Some many times he had fought with the demons, and so many lives he had claimed. It was not a place he thought he would ever see him self again. He hoped that it would be his last time. If it were not for Aterax he most likely would never have returned.

Dal could have been lost in thought if it were not for Aterax asking him about the residents of the realm. "I suppose some of them can be friendly though I never gave them a chance to be in the past and I wouldn't be quickly to assume one is." As he spoke his eyes darted from side to side to check if anything was lurking in the shadows. Every time he thought he heard a noise his eyes darted in that direction.

"Tell me Aterax, what are you hoping to find here and what do you plan to do if we find your father?" Dal was curious as to what was going through the young man's mind as they walked and he wondered what would happen if they found his father. Would his nephew chose to stay with the man who had helped in creating him or would he return to his homeland with Dal. Dal would hate to leave the young man behind but he would not stay forever in the land of demons. He did hope that his nephew would come home with him. He would be devastated if had to part with him.

--------------------
^
The glee that bubbled up within his gullet was barely contained by the pin-point focus of his concentrating mind. Was he possibly itching for a fight? While he'd always been fairly rough and aggressive with his kin back in Evylon, he'd never been this worked up. It was almost as if another side of himself had been awoken to the treacherous environment of Kurai - yet they'd only just arrived. Who was to say what he'd be like when an hour or more had passed?

Nonetheless he picked his feet up and stomped them back down into the pure white strands of plantlife around them, making sure to use all his force in snuffing out each strand of life he came across with a noticeable amount of effort. The words of his uncle managed to catch his interest yet again (the man was interesting in every sense of the word, after all) and he turned his amber-eyed gaze upon him to continue listening to what he had to say.

Aterax grinned at that. "Are you about to tell me how evil you are, uncle?" Well, it wasn't like he'd care if that were true or not. But wouldn't it be something if his uncle started telling him a badass tale about slaying one-million demons before the sunrise? Getting serious for a moment, the young man's gaze grew softer and more stern as he got serious. "Are all demons bad, then?" The very thought about anyone assuming so of demons hardly worried him at all - in fact, he expected that to be the case. Not so much from his dear uncle, but still.

But what did that mean for his father?

Speaking of his jumpy uncle's thoughts and Aterax' apparent uncle - the man with a hand steeled upon the hilt of his blade suddenly asked a particularly curious question and the youth turned his eyes forward again in thought. He hadn't exactly considered such a thing before, but he'd assumed he'd stick around with his uncle. Because he didn't even know his birth father existed up until this point - so surely there wouldn't be anything to gain by staying with him. Much less in the realm of Kurai. At least, that's what his initial thoughts were.

Even as the plausibility of such thoughts swirled about his mind, his instincts continued to bring him ever closer to his goal set in the distance. "Well, mom was the one who suggested talkin' to you about meetin' him. I guess she wanted to make sure I was looked after, y'know? Since ya travel alot." With a small smile, the brunet craned his neck back to gaze over his shoulder at the man with a toothy, but fun-filled smile. "Sides', I wouldn't wanna get in yer way."

There was also the matter of him being super curious as to what the man (thing?) would be like. Because whatever he turned out to be, that meant that Aterax would be half of him, right? He'd get to learn about another side of himself that he hadn't even known existed. That had to be reason enough for him to seek the guy out.

"I guess findin' out what that one feelin's all about too would be pretty cool." Patting his stomach, he was clearly referencing his 'gut instinct'. But who knows... maybe he was just about to announce that he was hungry. It was never straightforward with this blasted kid. "How come, uncle?"

--------------------
^
Dal continued to follow behind his beloved nephew, seeming to purposely not notice him stomping out all of the little plant life as they went. It was almost as if Aterax was showing a darker side of himself and Dal didn't want to see it or couldn't see it. All the while, his hand continued to rest upon the hilt of his sword, ready to defend them should the moment should arrive but fortunately the coast seemed to be clear.

Unlike his nephew, Dal seemed to carefully step around the small plants trying to preserve their unique beauty, a kindness he had not show the realm the last time he visited. He was beginning to admire the cruel and unique beauty of Kurai. It would be hard for someone else to notice this though because even as he admired the realm his eyes continued to dart from one place to another seeming to check for a sign of an unwanted presence.

"I wouldn't say that I am evil and I won't tell you what I have done, though in time you might find out." Dal felt more remorseful every time he thought of how cruelly he had taken the lives of so many innocent demons. Especially since his own nephew was part demon. He didn't know that if Aterax had been born completely human if things would be different but the boy seemed to remind him of his sins. "And no I would not say that all demons are bad, though I never let one prove that he wasn't."

Finally the conversation how moved in a more dreadful a direction. He would missed Aterax if he did decided to stay behind. "My beloved nephew, you'll never be in my way and I would be devastated to lose you. But if you should find that you like it here, I won't try to change your mind about staying. I would just hope that you would visit me once in a while."

--------------------
^
It was plain to see that they both shared a strong connection. No matter how much time passed, or how much distance lay between them, what Aterax felt for his uncle would never change. That kinship which tied them together through his mother was profoundly important to the halfling teen. He couldn't imagine living in a world without his uncle in it - especially now that his mother was gone. Being human was all he'd ever known, and his Dal himself was a large part of that. Whether he was aware or not. So potentially saying goodbye permanently was... well, it certainly sent a chill through his spine.

Aterax decided not to press on about Dal's potentially painful past within Kurai. If he didn't want to share, Aterax could respect that. The last thing he wanted to do was push the guy away = particularly since he needed him now more than ever. But he felt like he ought to say something to put the mans mind at ease - if only a little. "Sure thing, uncle. But, uh, I'm not going anywhere."

Not yet, anyway.

He couldn't help but wonder about just how different things were if he'd ended up being with his father in the first place instead of his mother? If things had turned out a little different and he'd been with his alleged father from the moment of his birth, would he have ever come to know his mother? What about Dal? And what about the realms which existed alongside Kurai? Just how much would change from what he had now?

'What if's and 'How's were fine to think about. But perhaps delving too deep into such possibilities would be his undoing. Aterax needed to focus on the task at hand and not allow anything to deter him from his given path. After all, he was here for something important. "Sides, now that mom's gone, you're kinda all I got left." The tone in his voice was clearly saddened, softer than how he'd spoken to his uncle seconds prior. But the young teen managed to keep his shoulders stiff, and his pace through the ghastly white grass relatively the same.

And then a thought occurred to him. "Say Unc'? You ever heard of-- Woah!" Only to be inturrupted by a large beastial animal suddenly rising up in the grass. A quadruped with what looked to be ferocious fangs, steely eyes and a brilliant darkened pelt. The beast seemed to regard the duo for a moment, it's muzzle hidden just beneath the grass. Aterax could also hear his heart beating faster in his chest, long-since pausing mid-step in his sudden uncertainty. "Uhh... Huh." He hummed to himself, tilting his head at the creature curiously.

For any denizen of Kuri who was at least somewhat familiar with the many workings of the land and it's kingdoms. It was clear almost on sight that the very beast before them happened to be a Hellwolf. Though which kind was certainly up for speculation. Aterax, however, had no such knowledge and therefore no idea on how to react to being discovered so quickly.

--------------------
^
Hearing his nephews words made him feel better. He was glad that Aterax had no intentions of leaving him at the moment. He cherished every moment with the boy and wished that he didn't have to take him to his father. He didn't know the man but he had a nasty feeling that he wouldn't like him and he was afraid of what he might expose Aterax to. Even with all of his fears about the boy's father he knew that he needed to met him. He thought that it would help him to know where he came form.

When Aterax began to ask him another question a large Hellwolf appeared from the grass. Dal had quickly drawn his sword when he saw movement in the grass but when he saw what it was he looked the beast in the eyes and stepped between it and his nephew. He then stabbed his sword in the ground and spoke. "I am Dal and this is my nephew Aterax. I do not wish to harm you. I am leading my nephew to his father, Vortigern Lord of the king of Pestilence. If you know what is good for you, you will not bother us."

Dal's hand was resting on his sword's hilt. Should the beast try anything he would quickly pull the sword out of the ground and insert it into the beast heart. Of course he figure the beast would put up a fight and there would be a little more of a challenge then simply putting the blade in the creature's heart.

--------------------
^
He hated to sound cheesy about it, but it legitimately did feel like time slowed down for the young lad. It was a good thing he hadn't been in the midst of any complex or kinetic movements which would make him stick out all the more to the Hellwolf, otherwise things might have turned out differently. Lucky for him though, the beast only seemed to hold his gaze and nothing more.

Though there were many thoughts and feelings that rushed through the young halfling's mind in those few short moments, what seemed to stick out most to him was the lack of fear for the great, hulking beast that dwarfed his own size. In fact, if he had to place his finger upon it, he'd even go so far as to think the chance of a fight intrigued rather than worry. That said, Aterax wasn't sure how he'd measure up against a Hellwolf...

"Hey Unc'? What even is this thing?" It probably would have been best to wait until the beast had vacated the area before asking questions of that nature. But his own curiosity got the best of him and he threw caution to the wind as his brash nature chose to take hold. His eyes remained on the creature as it then turned its attention to Dal as he introduced themselves. Vaguely wondering why he was wasting his breathe talking to a dumb animal when all it would probably understand was whether they were food or not.

"Harm me, you say?" The beast spoke, prompting a choke of surprise from Aterax' lungs. Who'd have thought it was capable of perfect speech! Did that mean everything in Kurai could talk or was this beast special somehow? "You would be the first - and the last..." The beast's form seemed to darken considerably, its great mane of fur becoming thicker and it's rippling muscles much more pronounced. Those were fighting words, and it's stance alluded to being ready for battle. Aterax allowed a grin to take hold and (with a little bit of forced concentration) began to generate the familiar slime from the palms of his hands.

The beast, however, merely arched it's back in an exaggerated stretch then turned away from the two, casually trudging along through the veil of pure white. Hint of amusement cast over it's shoulder. "Do what you must. But disturb my sleep again and neither of you will hope to see the next day. Spawn of a Demon Lord or not..." It wasn't too much longer that the beast would disappear through the reeds of grass, but Aterax couldn't help but be disappointed. "That wasn't any kind of wolf I ever saw..."

--------------------
^
Dal look slightly pleased that didn't have to fight beast. He knew what the creature was capable of and didn't want to have to fight it. It would have been somewhat exhausting. He could see that his nephew wasn't as pleased as he was. It looked like the boy had been excited to fight which was slight frightening. He could see a little bit of him self in Aterax. He hoped that his nephew wasn't to much like his uncle and that he wouldn't go looking for trouble like Dal had in his youth.

Breaking from his thoughts he quickly answered Aterax's question. "That creature was a hellhound, a fearsome opponent loyal to the demon lords. It would have been a tough fight if he had decided to fight us." There was a short pause as Dal thought. He knew he should say something to Aterax about the way he carried himself, he didn't want him to get into a fight he couldn't win. "I could see that you were getting excited about fighting that creature. Do remember that strength isn't everything and that sometimes it is better to try to reason with your opponent. Fighting should be your last resort. I wish I had known that when I was your age."

With that being said he pulled his sword out of the ground and put it back in it's place with his hand on the hilt. "I think it would be best if we avoided the creature. I would like to avoid any unnecessary fighting." He said eyeing the reeds. When he was sure the creature was gone he looked back to his nephew and waved for him to lead on.

--------------------
^
Once the beast had disappeared from sight, Aterax felt feelings of longing and disappointment wash over him in waves. There was no way to deny it - his demon blood within him had been roused and it was unlike anything he'd ever experienced before. Having lived in Evylon for his entire life - it was fair to say he'd never really encountered any sort of life-threatening situations. In fact, the most conflict he'd ever come across was those of his peers who sought to use force to solve their problems. Aterax himself revealed in taking those kinds of kids on. But here? In the realm of Kurai with an incredibly harsh environment, danger lurking on all sides and the very real threat of death seeking to steal away their lives - something was beginning to stir within him if it hadn't already. And Aterax was excited to get to know this new side of himself in much more detail.

On the other hand - he really didn't know what such a beast would be capable of. And even if he were to have the advantage in raw strength alone - who was to say that the beast wouldn't have some kind of trick to fall back on? Perhaps a strategy? Maybe even superior speed. The possibilities of it proving more than a match for both of them was more than just feasible. Well, it was a good thing he didn't a thing then, huh? There was no way he wanted to waste time when he was sure his father was nearby.

"A Hellwolf, huh." Five minutes after entering Kurai and he'd already learned something new? There were beings loyal to the demon lords themselves, eh? Then surely that meant that the one they'd just crossed paths with was about to head back to it's own Demon Lord and possibly inform them of the pair's arrival? "So wait... Why'd we let it go? It's gonna tell the whole realm we're here, isn't it?" Well, it wasn't like he was worried or anything. What would a Demon Lord do with that kind of information? Ignore it, probably. While he couldn't say for certain, he doubted any kid wandering the realm with their uncle was ever a cause for concern.

At his uncle's words of warning, the youngster merely shrugged his shoulders and sighed for a moment in lackluster acknowledgement. "Alright, alright, unc'. I hear ya." He wasn't about to challenge any random demon they came across to a death match. As much fun as it'd be - he just didn't have the patience for it at the moment. Besides, there'd be plenty of time for that later on, if he so chose. Kicking at a few pure white weeds (which were wholly out of the way) the boy then proceeded to continue on along their intended path. Following his gut feeling once more. But even as they moved, every now and then his mind would drift back to that same Hellwolf and who it might encounter next.

After crossing quite the distance in a relatively short amount of time, the pair would soon happen across a an open field of sorts overlooked by a small valley of hills on all sides. Just before reaching the top, Aterax thought he heard a heavy snort followed by some scraping. In fact, the very sounds gave cause for concern within the young man. And something told him that he did not want to meet whatever happened to be on the other side of the hill they stood upon. And yet, he knew no easy way of deviating from their intended path. So what should they...

"Hey, unc'? I'm getting a... bad feeling about being here." He stopped, crouching down some in the hopes of making his prescence less known to the wider world. Turning his gaze back to his uncle, frowning just a bit with his lips pressed together in a firm line, the boy pressed one hand against the black earth at his feet and listened for any more odd sounds. One thing was for certain though, and that was how bad something smelt. Like... some kind of carcass or corpse was really close. "Somethin's really wrong around here."

Were he to gaze just over the ridge before them, he'd receive ample reason for why that was. They were... not holding back by any means...

--------------------
^
The reply that Dal got from his nephew was less than satisfactory. It didn't convince Dal that Aterax would stay clear of danger but he decided that he would let it slide. He could only say the same thing so many times and it wasn't like it would change anything if he kept saying it. He would just have to keep doing what he was doing and make sure that his nephew didn't get into any trouble.

For a while they walked peaceful without crossing the path of any of the other inhabitants of the realm. He was hoping that they would continue to Aterax's father with out crossing the path of anyone else but he knew that was unlikely. As they continued to walk things seemed to be to quiet and there was a foul stench to the air. The hairs on Dal's back were standing on end as they near the source. The smell was truly wretched and it made his stomach turn. He dreaded seeing what was causing it.

Aterax also seemed to sense that something was off. First the boy crouched down and then he began to carefully listening for any odd sounds that he could hear. "Stay behind me," Dal commanded his nephew as he began down the hill to inspect what was waiting for them. He was completely prepared to fight not thinking that he would be able to talk their way out of this situation. His muscles felt like they were twitch, aching to draw his sword and put it to use. His instincts felt like they were kicking in, it was almost like a desire to fight.

--------------------
^
The pair had ample reason to be cautious, it seemed. What lay just beyond their sight was nothing short of a small herd of vicious horned beasts - all of which were engaged in the rather gruesome act of feeding. The specie widely known as Alicorn were feared throughout the realm of Kurai as they were particularly heralded as ruthless, cruel creatures by even the very highest of demons. And it was that very smell that would serve to assault the teenage demon's nose and give way to a particularly interesting set of emotions he couldn't quite explain.

Shuffling closer to the edge of the ridge, the youth angled his head to ensure that his eyes were the only things that could possibly give away his position... and his hair. But his movements were put on hold once his uncle demanded he remain in place, and he watched with a bewildered gaze as his last living relative (from his human side) hoisted himself over the edge and headed down the valley below towards the bustling herd. All pairs of eyes turned to gaze at the newcomer and cease their feeding upon the carcass in order to do so. Aterax carefully perched his chin on the edge and joined in the action of observing his only uncle.

Evidently regretting following his instincts at the mere sight of the disturbing huddle mare's. Several of the beasts had started huffing, others pawed at the ground as if getting ready to charge. The rest merely kept their eerie eyes upon the man and waited in relative silence. For what, Aterax couldn't be sure... The boy didn't dare tip them off to his presence, however. There was certainly a line between bravery and stupidity, and Aterax highly doubted crossing paths with such demons like these was along the brave spectrum.

"That's probably not a good idea, unc'..." He whispered down to the fleeing man - unsure on whether or not he could be heard anymore. What was he to do now? Watch as his relative became quickly overwhelmed by a hoard of magical carnivorous beasts? Or join him in what would likely be a fateful encounter. The young man failed to understand what could possibly be going on through the older male's mind, but he supposed he'd probably get his answer (or lack thereof) very soon.

It was then that the beasts chose to attack.

--------------------
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll