<-- Navbar --> <-- end navbar -->
Discord Embed

If Discord/Titan is down, use the emergency cbox instead!

» desert's jewel ., Blazeh, OPEN
Verridith
Closed! Posted: Oct 27 2017, 06:07 AM
Group Icon
Member Inventory: View

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

Awards: 31

Please PM or DM me before tossing a character here! This is going to be a potentially long and important thread regarding Kiya's past, I'd love to discuss and plot a little first <3

PLAYERS INVOLVED:
@Verridith (Blazeh)
@darkeh

SETTING:
The city of Eden, in the Realm of Ristell. Outside of the Sun Gate near a tavern by the fishing docks.

WEATHER:
The skies are clear without a cloud in sight. It's hot, and rather humid, with a light breeze blowing from across the lake.

TIME:
Several years before the present. Minutes before sunset.

CHARACTERS INVOLVED:
Kiya (Blazeh), Aamir (Dark)

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
"you do know I have the worst memory in the high desert right"
"that's a lie, you just fill your memory with all things BTACD related"
^
Verridith
 Posted: Oct 27 2017, 06:07 AM
Group Icon

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

The sunset was a beautiful thing; its elegant rays bathed the great city of Eden with blazing light, its sandstone curtain wall alit in oranges and reds, painted in the colors of the coming night. The two nearest obelisks, marking the corners of the massive city, shone as brilliantly as the sun itself, and the top of the gold-tipped Sun Gate marked the glowing orb's steady progress down below the horizon.

A young woman watched it, daydreaming, as the line of light kept rising. She sat on the edge of a small building made of sandstone, somewhere out between the Gate and the shimmering lake that was colored in purples and blues and pinks as it reflected the sunset sky. She wasn't tall, or particularly fair; somewhere in-between adolescence and adulthood, she had yet to fill out, and still held much of youth's ungainliness about her. A sol'tera was she - one with caramel skin much like her fellows, and sharp black tattoos that arced beneath her eyes, down her shoulders and arms, and across much of her skin. She wore little jewelry, and only a white shift with a simple belt around her middle, and no shoes.

The sun was a marvelous thing. Especially for one of her kind; a sol'tera. Her race was so named the People of Sunlight in Signis, the wondrous language of this Realm. Playing with one stray strand of her black, braided hair, she tore her eyes away from the Gate - that only had a hair's breadth of golden light left at its very peak - and let her amber gaze wander along the lake behind her.

It had been good fishing today. Her parents would have been proud. But then, suddenly, she noticed her basket was missing; it was not at the base of the wall she had climbed, nor anywhere down the walkway she'd come. Confused, she scrambled up from where she'd sat and moved along the roof, dropping down where she had a couple of hand- and footholds to allow her safely to the ground.

Indeed, the basket was gone. A sudden sense of panic overtook the young woman - the fish had already been promised to a merchant in Eden's bazaar, and payment would come only when the fish were handed over. It was too late to start again... and if she didn't get paid her zen tonight, there would be no food tomorrow at all.

Or shoes, for that matter.

Her brother, Amyr, would have hunted the thieves down and killed them for their blasphemous crimes against Azcen's great honor. But she was not her brother, and she had no special abilities at all. She had barely begun to learn how to harness her solar magic, let alone any form of martial arts. That was everything, she thought, sinking to her knees where the basket had been. That was my food for the next few days, that... But she could not hunt thieves down; and Amyr had gone parading off with their family name to fight some war far, far away. She was a Mau, the daughter of a great family, but nobody cared about daughters. All the attention was lavished upon her brother.

Of course.

"What're you doing here, Kiya? Don't you have... some fish to sell?" The voice caught her off guard, and she looked up with a start. A young man, no more than five years her senior, stood before her; he was a sol'tera hybrid, perhaps with either an avian or xeriin, for an eagle's wings graced his back. And he was holding her basket.

"Give that back!" she shouted, jumping to her feet. But being barefoot for so long - as her old sandals had finally given out - had resulted in sore feet, and she stumbled as he hopped back to avoid her. His laughter rang in Kiya's ears and she had to hold back a flood of angry tears, as shame and anger filled her. "Those are mine! I caught all of them, I have to have them back! Give them here, Ahmet!"

"I don't think I will," Ahmet said, sneering. Two others, older men both - one a human, one a sol'tera - flanked him, and she took an involuntary step back as anger was replaced by doubt. "You've not paid attention, after all. House Horus - my House - rules the docks, and you haven't paid us anything for catching our fish. We've been lenient, since you're the crown daughter of Mau, but..." He smiled lopsidedly, drawing a small dagger and flipping it over and over in one hand. "Well, your parents aren't around anymore to garner favor from my father, so..."

Doubt twisted into fear as her fish basket was dropped, breaking to scatter fish all over the cobblestone road. The three advanced and she took another step back, as a sound erupted behind them. A loud horn call sounded the Sun Gate's closing; and with it, fear turned to absolute panic.

Kiya hissed several curses and turned to run. There was only one option now that the Sun Gate and its promised protection were closed to her, as she would never reach them in time. She had to flee, and hope that they couldn't keep up; she had to get away, or they would do... whatever it was that they wanted to do to her, in 'payment' for House Horus.

Her being a woman of age now, being chased by three men - of course she knew what that 'payment' would be. They would rape her, and then they would kill her, and deliver her naked and flayed corpse back to her brother, wherever he was.

If he even cared.

Kiya raced through the alleyways and skidded around tight corners, careful to avoid the sand that gathered in corners during the frequent sandstorms that sometimes ripped across the Arcadian desert. Eden's sleek curtain wall blocked out the sun, and torches had yet to be lit along the docks and its old, surrounding buildings. Looking over her shoulder, she saw Ahmet flying from rooftop to rooftop behind her, though she didn't see the other two at all -

- and suddenly she looked back to see a wall barring her way, and skidded to a halt just in time to avoid colliding with it outright. Whirling around so quickly she almost stumbled to the side, she watched as Ahmet landed in her only escape route, tapping the sign of an inn next door with his dagger. A grin crossed his face, and the panting two friends of his appeared quickly after.

"Nothing's gonna save you now," Ahmet purred, his lopsided grin half in shadow. The sky was dimming quickly as night set upon them, and panic made Kiya's heart flutter as she looked around like a trapped bird. "You're gonna be ours until the morning comes, little bitch... and maybe we'll take you home after. Who knows? A Mau-bred whore as a Horus slave sounds so sweet..."

"Leave me alone!" Kiya snarled, back pressed against the wall. She wanted to go through it, over it, under it, anywhere but be stuck here with no escape. Something snapped in her head and sent stars dancing in front of her eyes, even as Ahmet approached. "Go away!"

But her voice was no longer her voice, and the last words came out an animalistic growl. The sudden, overwhelming urge to hurt her adversary overcame her, and she crouched on all fours, lashing out with a paw - a paw?

Skin rippled as dark fur sprouted along her arms and legs, fingers twisting into paws that held long and sharp claws already bared of their sheaths. Her face elongated and teeth sharpened into points as whiskers sprouted from either side of a snarling muzzle, and a tufted tail lashed in anger as ears were pressed flat to a feline skull.

A lioness, cornered and terrified, roared and batted at the suddenly very shocked Ahmet as he darted backwards in fright. "Leave me alone, go away," she snarled and roared, darker markings in the same shape as her sol'tera tattoos showing that it was, truly, still Kiya - but in another shape. "Don't touch me, leave me be!"

--------------------
user posted image
^
darkeh
 Posted: Nov 18 2017, 06:11 PM
Group Icon

member #23

‣ Female

944 posts

darkeh

Council
snowbound igloo queen

☆ Offline

363 jaden

Awards: 18

In all fairness, Aamir hadn't meant to steal from the Dunecats. The market, as any halfwit streetrat in Eden knew, was fair game; between the merchants and the soldiers, the pickings were slim enough anyway that none of the gangs wanted to risk claiming turf and be forced to defend it from the others. So it was an unwritten rule that what you picked up, you kept, no questions asked.

Was it his fault that the fruit wagon had a feckless driver? Realistically, any merchant with a serious commitment to his job would never ride out into gang territory without at least checking their goods. So it happened that Aamir got a few of his friends to... liberate the wagon before it vanished into Cat streets. It still fell under market rules.

The screeching horde at his heels disagreed, but Aamir thought he was right.

"Stop, you lily-livered dogfoot piece of -"

"Now, is that any way to talk about your mother?" Aamir called back, winking roguishly as he flung himself onto another roof. There was no time to check himself and consider the gaps between, but, luckily, he had made more than one escape over the tops of the dockside buildings. His bare feet pounded along the tin slats of a fish bar, eliciting a cry from the vendor underneath. "Hooligans!" the man screamed, but he his voice was immediately drowned out by the thunderous patter of the Cats sprinting after Aamir. "Guards! Guards, dammit, where are you?!"

The tousle-haired blonde pivoted sharply, leaping onto another roof - this one with clay tiles - and scrambling up its sloped peak. Between the pounding of his heart and the agonizing seesaw of breath in his throat, he wanted to laugh, teary-eyed at the thought of the beating sure to come. Behind him, he could hear the thud of Cats landing on the same roof. They were closing the distance now. Soon -

A vicious, burn-in-your-bones roar stopped everyone dead. Aamir glanced with amazement at the vengeful gang, certain one of them had somehow uttered the sound. But then it happened again, and out of the corner of Aamir's eye, he could see movement in the alley on his right. He didn't hesitate for a moment. "Bye, pussycats!" he called, and slid down the other side of the roof, directly toward the fearsome growling.

And onto an avian's head.

--------------------
user posted image
-blazeh was here and did stuff- ;D
^
Verridith
 Posted: Nov 18 2017, 10:57 PM
Group Icon

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

The Horus hybrid gave a yell as he crashed to the ground, wings flailing on either side; Kiya retreated farther back against the wall, snarling and hissing at the newcomer, terrified anger in every line of every feline muscle. She didn't know who Aamir was, or if he was going to hurt her as well - therefore, he was just as much of an enemy as anybody else.

She snarled again and swiped the air at them, but by then, it was only the three of them in the cramped little alleyway; for all its bluff and bluster, House Horus was a relatively small family compared to the Great Three, Mau, Mir, and Khu. The two older men who had accompanied the sol'tera-avian hybrid had already fled, leaving their prince all alone.

There was still no escape, however; Kiya's eyes swept upwards; she was at the end of a three-walled alleyway, and the walls were too high. Turning, she tried to scramble up one, and fell with a yowl, before flattening her ears at the two behind her briefly before trying again in a panic. This new form was alien to her; her movements were clumsy and unrefined, and the next time she attempted a jump she landed on her side.

She had no choice. The lioness shifter turned fully towards Aamir and Ahmet, baring her teeth and crouching for a pounce. With a loud roar, she bunched her muscles and leapt towards both, claws outstretched and maw slung wide...

--------------------
user posted image
^
darkeh
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 09:08 AM
Group Icon

member #23

‣ Female

944 posts

darkeh

Council
snowbound igloo queen

☆ Offline

363 jaden

As Aamir struggled to disentangle himself from the avian, he caught the flash of a dagger. The boy's eyes instantly narrowed and he threw himself onto Ahmet's wrist, refusing to let the man rise, armed. So intense was their brief lock that he missed altogether the shape of the giant cat as it tried fruitlessly to climb out of the alleyway.

But he sure as hell noticed when it turned on them.

The avian - older than him, and bigger too - finally managed to throw Aamir aside, standing upright just as the cat sprang into the air. With a wild cry, Aamir barreled into Ahmet and knocked them both out of the lioness' way and clean out of the alleyway. The youth rolled into a crouch and stared at the enraged creature, his hands raised in supplication. "Traded a pack of strays for a queen, didn't I?" he said aloud, trying for a soothing tone. "Maybe the Dunecats were onto something. Not too late to change my mascot, though the boys mightn't like it too much."

He rose slowly to full height, careful not to seem threatening. Something hard in one pocket banged against his leg. Aamir drew it out steadily, remembering what it was only when he glanced at it in his palm. Sweetapple. He groaned inwardly - it was his favorite. Of course, on one of the blue moon days he'd managed to swipe one, he'd be using it to fend off a wild tiger.

Where the hell had she come from, anyway?

"You still back there?" Aamir called, not daring to look away from the lioness. There was no response - either the avian had fled or he was too dumbstruck with terror to get a word out. Sighing regretfully, Aamir lobbed the sweetapple gently at the cat's feet, banking that she would lower her head to sniff at the odd object and give him time enough to flee.

A rock soared out of nowhere, striking the pavement near where the apple rolled to a stop.

Aamir glanced up sharply, humor vanishing from his eyes. The Dunecats were squatting on the roof he had leapt off of, arrayed like a freaky murder of crows along its edge. One of them, a cheeky bastard Aamir knew to be Bukal, lifted his hand. Aamir looked from the grin on the streetrat's face to the rock he was holding and knew he was in deep trouble.

"Get 'im!" shouted one of the Cats, chucking another rock at the lioness. Aamir retreated, glancing at the creature with a burr of fear in his heart.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Verridith
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 01:07 PM
Group Icon

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

Kiya gave another yowl as one of the rocks clattered into her forepaw; she snarled and hissed, drawing back, eyes drawn to those on the rooftops. She did not try to attack again, however - even if Ahmet had fled.

She was no warrior. She wasn't even brave. And confronted with many more opponents... fear controlled her now, and the terror had only one loud thought that processed in her mind:

Run.

Suddenly crouching, the lioness shifter vaulted from where she was past Aamir, running as more stones were thrown her way - she yowled in pain and stumbled as one particularly large one struck her shoulder, then skidded to a halt as a very large, very angry-looking muscular sol'tera blocked her way. He wore gilt armguards and had a long, decorative spear - a guard... and one who looked at her like a rabid animal.

"That's the one! That's the lioness that attacked me! She's a wild animal, and someone let her loose to attack my men and I! Kill her before she hurts someone else!" The sol'tera-avian stood behind the guard. holding a bloody arm - it appeared he had clawmarks on his shoulder... though the lines were too straight and too shallow to be true.

That bastard Ahmet. He had summoned the guard, called her a wild animal. And now this guard was going to kill her.

It was then that she couldn't go any farther. Ears laid flat, the lioness cowered before the guard, too scared to do anything but give a low, keening growl. She closed her eyes as the guard raised his spear, while the Dunecats scattered - and the son of the Horus House only grinned, maliciously intent that Kiya pay with her life...

--------------------
user posted image
^
darkeh
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 04:12 PM
Group Icon

member #23

‣ Female

944 posts

darkeh

Council
snowbound igloo queen

☆ Offline

363 jaden

Aamir's first thought was relief as the lioness fled past him - relief so strong that, dizzy with it, he failed to follow suit. Even when that enemy of all enemies, the city guard, showed up.

Instinctive terror closed his throat at the guard's voice. But something wasn't right. Aamir narrowed his eyes, staring at Ahmet and wondering where the wounds had come from. For the love of the gods, Aamir had gone specifically out of his way to ensure the dumbass avian wasn't hurt. Now he was streaming blood? And smirking? Aamir knew what it was like when you felt your life was truly, irrevocably in your hands. You didn't smirk after. Hysterical laughter, maybe, but you didn't have the energy for a grudge until the next morning at least.

So the streetboy did the stupidest possible thing he could do, under the circumstances.

"Wait, WAIT! Don't hurt her!" Sprinting toward them, Aamir skidded to a halt between the pike and the man. He prayed the guard didn't think it simpler to just run them both through. "You'll regret it if you do! She belongs to Mau!"

It was a lucky guess - Aamir didn't have a clue of the true nature of the beast crouched behind him. He continued as the guard lowered his spear slightly, face pinched with suspicion. "She's an, uh - she's an exotic. You know. Personal zoo. She's - been getting restless in the cage. The father asked me to take her out, see if it soothed her. I'm expendable, see?" He pointed to his ragged patched pants, and raised a hand to his ear, producing a coin seemingly out of nowhere. "Paid me, too. It was going fine, but she snapped the leash back in the alley over there. I reckon she smelled chicken." The boy smiled warmly over the guard's shoulder at Ahmet. "Here - if I give the young master my wage, can we call it off? I need to get... Naeem... back to the property."

--------------------
user posted image
^
Verridith
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 08:47 PM
Group Icon

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

The guard stopped just before he brought the spear down; if the youth hadn't mentioned House Mau, he would never have given him the time of day. However, he grumbled and gave the shifter cowering at his feet a sharp look, as Ahmet glared daggers at Aamir from behind the guard's broad shoulders.

"Fine," the sol'tera guard said. "Chain her and get her out of here." The lioness looked up, surprised, then gave Aamir a fearful look - it was clear she feared that he might do the same as the Horus men had promised, even if her expression might not have been understood. Growling softly, she turned slightly to face him, eyes wide and ears laid flat. "Give that coin here. And you," he said after taking the gold, rounding on Ahmet, "your father will be furious to find out you were outside of the city walls after sunfall. Go, and I won't report you."

The guard turned and tapped the end of his spear on the ground. "Well, why isn't she chained yet? I cannot allow you to leave with that beast walking free among the docks."

--------------------
user posted image
^
darkeh
 Posted: Nov 20 2017, 12:02 PM
Group Icon

member #23

‣ Female

944 posts

darkeh

Council
snowbound igloo queen

☆ Offline

363 jaden

"No, you're absolutely right, sir," Aamir said hastily, trying to figure out how he was going to wriggle out of this one. "The chain - it broke in the alley. Not much use now. I can use this, though." He slid the rope from his waist - an improvised belt - and tied it quickly around the lioness' throat, praying it would not pick now to take a swipe at him. "She's normally quite docile," he lied. "Freak accident, that. But I'll take her straight back."

Kneeling in front of the lioness, Aamir looked at her, really looked at her, and... well for some reason, he spoke quietly to her, as if expecting the creature to understand. "We're almost out of this, okay? Don't do anything stupid."

Then he straightened up, saluted the officer, and turned toward the city, walking at a brisk pace and hoping to the gods that it was the right direction for the House of Mau.

There was certainly no limit to the confidence Aamir exuded at he walked off, not even bothering to look back. Inside, he was quaking. Somehow, he had leashed a godsdamn feral cat and was currently leading it... where? He had no idea where was safe for it. Her. Aamir held the rope loosely, almost hoping that the lioness would tug on it and give him some inkling of where she wanted to go. It stood to reason she had come from somewhere, and maybe if she wasn't scared, they could waltz right back as if nothing happened.

And, you know, see a pig fly.

"I should really be thanking you." Aamir mumbled, half to himself. "If you hadn't happened to, well, exist, I would probably have the stuffing knocked out of me by now." He smiled faintly down at the beast padding along beside him. Was it his imagination or did she seem more at ease? "You should know I can't really keep you. Pets are, uh, a liability around here. Though you'd scare off the others nicely."

--------------------
user posted image
^
Verridith
 Posted: Nov 23 2017, 09:08 AM
Group Icon

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

Oh, but she was scared. Really scared. The lioness slunk after Aamir miserably, ears flat and eyes wide with terror, thinking of how she could possibly escape. She didn't want to hurt him - even if he was as horrible as Ahmet - because he did save her, but... he was still a young sol'tera male. And nothing good could come of that.

She couldn't trust him. But maybe she could find a way to get away from him.

Kiya pondered this, and gave a tug at the rope to see what he'd do - they couldn't be here, at the heart of the docks, no. She would have to be somewhere that she could pull away and run. If she could get away, then maybe she could figure out how to change back, and find somewhere safe to hide. How in the world did she get this way, anyways? A lioness...?

And did her brother change into a lion, too?

She gave another tug, and growled softly. Maybe she could intimidate the sol'tera into letting her lead him to the docks' edge. Or maybe he'd just beat on her. Who knew?

--------------------
user posted image
^
darkeh
 Posted: Nov 27 2017, 05:39 PM
Group Icon

member #23

‣ Female

944 posts

darkeh

Council
snowbound igloo queen

☆ Offline

363 jaden

"The... docks? Okay." Aamir glanced nervously behind, but he didn't see the city guard anywhere. Clearly, the man had better things to do. "Away we go, little queen."

For a while they strode on in silence. They weren't far from the docks at all, and Aamir had a foreboding feeling that this adventure was about to come to a particularly spastic end. He wanted to be absolutely sure of his luck before that happened. "Hold up, there," he said quietly, and tugged gently on the rope. He could see the edge of her lip curling in a snarl and knelt hastily, his fingers dancing across the rope. It fell away from her throat in moments, and Aamir paused, abruptly aware he had just set loose a creature that had no way of knowing it owed him its life.

He held the rope limply in his hands, staring, terrified, into her eyes. The surf thundered close by. It was nearly true night, now; twilight throttled the city, with stars peeking out one by one above them. Swallowing hard, Aamir slowly stood up and skipped back out of paw range. "There," he said softly. "And you never did eat my stupid apple. Waste of a good thing." The sol'tera's smile was faint. He threaded the rope around his waist once more. "Get on with you. Run back to wherever you came from, little queen."

To anyone, anyone else, the feat that Aamir had pulled would be enough. Relieved of the lioness, they would have fled back to their homes with a story too wild to be believed and called it a day. But, as Aamir's heart settled into a normal pace, he eyed the lioness from under his lashes, and his blood was afire with yet another question that simply had to be answered.

Where was the lioness from?

He had made his mind up that he would follow her the moment the rope dropped from her neck. And now he waited, trusting that the fleet-footed cat would take this moment to run, and he, Aamir, leader of the Sand Devils, would be like a shadow to her. Just until he knew.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Verridith
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 06:50 AM
Group Icon

member #1

‣ Female

9483 posts

Verridith

Admin
I am the QUEEN OF GOLD

☆ Online

9795 jaden

The lioness had cowered down, ears flat and fangs bared, expecting some trick; but when the rope fell away, her ears flew up, and she stared at Aamir with an expression of feline surprise. Kiya swallowed and looked back towards the docks, then back at the sol'tera, who seemed to be waiting for her to do something.

Was he not going to attack her, then? Or worse?

Maybe this one really had saved her out of the goodness of his heart. But it was all for naught if she didn't figure out how to change back. How could she hunt - and, she thought with a shudder, eat - in this form? How was she supposed to survive? Stricken with indecision on what to do, she took a step back, feeling a mixture of relief and terror at the same time.

Finally, she decided to try something - she didn't know if she could, but the shifted tried to speak. "Y-You... saved my life," she whispered, the words feeling alien on her tongue, spoken from a muzzle. She watched the sol'tera with nervous anticipation, hoping that he didn't strike her. "They w-would have taken me a-as a slave, a-and killed me when... wh-when..."

Then, her ears flattened, and she took another step back and held herself low to the ground. Her pupils were dilated with fear, and her ears were flat against her skull. "Y-You aren't... like them, a-are you?"

--------------------
user posted image
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: