by tooth & claw dragons

where darkness and chaos reign...
Welcome to the land of dragons and elves; demons and death. Here, you may weave tales of all creatures, great and small - magic is found in everything, and many worlds one can explore are open for discovery. By Tooth And Claw Dragons, often shortened to BTACD, is an original high fantasy role-play site with over eighty species and ten solid worlds, fifteen years strong. Freedom of creativity is boundless within the established lore, and member suggestions are not only accepted, but encouraged. We release new content monthly, and are always expanding our wondrous Realms. Come and play with magic, honor the great gods, and beware the balance that governs all...
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

New Arrivals and Interesting Company
PLAYERS INVOLVED: @Nix @Erratic Concinnity

SETTING: The Inn in Covahold

WEATHER: Fair, still, warmish.

TIME: Three years ago

CHARACTERS INVOLVED: Garvan (Concinnity), Khrisstopher, Jhessikha, Angilicia, and the newborn Xavier (Nix) and Aerro (Erratic).

--------------------
“Never laugh at live dragons.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
Garvan lay half sleeping upon the thatched roof of the inn in the late afternoon sun as he eyed the traders' wagons below. Half of him was tempted by how easy it would be to nip down into the courtyard and knick a few of the more shiny items, but he didn't wish for the interest such a move would make.The heat was already a bit to warm for his liking after the last heist he had done... Also, he mused, it was nice to sleep somewhere nice and soft for a change.

A smile curved along his beak as he thought of the loot that he had gained in the robbery and his lion-like tail twitched at the thought of what he might do with it once he was able to return and collect it. With a sigh at the futility of such musings and slowly stretched out his front paws and wings as he yawned, his dark almost black coat and feathers shimmering in the light.

Settling back down Garvan started to preen a rouge feather back into place something in the movement of the yard caught his eye.

--------------------
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
Maybe I should just be a mercenary.

Aero silently grumbled to herself as she hastily secured her pack, which had been threatening to fall over. She was almost certain her stolen goods were inconspicuous enough, but she didn't want to risk them falling out. She cursed as she fumbled a tie, causing the innkeep to stare at her.

"Ah, sorry. I've had a long day," she said, sounding genuinely tired as she made certain not to glance at her pack too much. She finished paying for her room and took a step outside.

Maybe the stress is just getting to me. I just need a break, is all.

Being a mercenary would just be trading a stress for a stress. At least she knew how to deal with this current one.

The sound of a yawn then caught her attention, pulling her away from her thoughts. She hefted her pack over her shoulder and walked out into the sun only to be greeted by the striking shadow of a gryphon.

"Well, well, didn't expect that," she mused, mostly to herself. "Are you a patron here as well, or just found yourself a nice perch?" Her mouth twisted into a good natured smirk.

--------------------
^
Jhessikha smiled, watching her daughter and pairbond with a chuckle. The two year old girl was growing to be much like her father, much to both of her parent's joy. Her hair was a lighter blue than her mother's with darker eyes, but the thing that brought a smile to her face the most was the pair of dark-blue horns just starting to grow in. A pair of white wings, and the fluttering of feathers, but The child didn't make it to flight.

Khriss captured his daughter in a loving hold, one pair of wings wrapping around his body to shield her from the sun. His mint hair shimmered in the sun, as he stood, four pairs of white wings shinning even brighter. He caught Jhess' golden gaze with a smile of his own, glancing down at her stomach. She was heavy into her second pregnancy, but despite that, she wanted to go on this trip.

They were here for trade, looking for rare herbs or the such. Jhess laughed a bit, running a hand through her her medium-blue hair, between two dark-blue rams horns. Despite obviously being a demon, it seemed she would harm anyone. They were walking for the inn, so the woman could get some rest, despite having rode on the back of a chestnut Middling horse.

That same horse was being led by the pestilence demon, who smiled faintly at a dwarf as she passed, letting a hand bring the horse to the small stable. She was about to continue, her pairbond waited behind her, when... A sudden pain in her stomach, and she stopped, putting a single hand on the obvious baby-bump with concern. "What is it?" She heard Khriss ask, but she could just shake her head. This was familiar, and while not completely unexpected... Unwanted for the moment. They had hoped that it would happen once they got back home to Albronel...
^
The change of movement that had caught his eye was the sudden hive of activity by the stables as a Seraph tried to lead a very pregnant and in labour demoness through the crowded yard.

But between those going towards them to help and those foolish ones trying to move away the yard had become a press of bodies and unschooled hands of the stableyard the inevitable happened

A horse spooked by a sharp movement and the jostling of the humans around it panicked and reared up on its hind legs. And as the hands panicked in reaction to the horse they spooked it, even more, causing it to turn and try and flee through the crowd, through the lease area of resistance, the space around the couple.

Snapping his beak in irritation as foolish humans in general, Garvan leapt off of the roof and landed in front of the couple, putting himself between them and the horse. The horse slide to a stop, startled by the appearance of a predator which gave on quick caravan master the moment they needed to catch the leading rein.

keeping one eye on the still nervous horse he turned to face the couple behind him.

This post has been edited by Concinnity: Apr 12 2018, 09:48 PM

--------------------
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
Aerro returned the lady's smile, but did a double-take when she noticed the horns, and a triple take when she noticed the wings on the man. What a strange couple. She blinked and turned her attention back to the gryphon, who seemed to be ignoring her. Maybe? She sighed and let her attention wander again. She should probably get settled in her room for now and socialize later. She began to turn when the sound of a loud whiny stopped her in her tracks.

It happened so fast, and she didn't make sense of the situation until the sudden flash of a leaping gryphon came across her field of view. Nice save.

The dwarf hefted her bag and began to walk over to the gryphon and couple.

"Hey, is everything alright over here? That was both...startling and impressive," she said, giving a nod to the gryphon.

--------------------
^
sorry! missed a person

This post has been edited by Concinnity: Apr 13 2018, 01:21 PM

--------------------
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
Jhess couldn't focus on anything but the waves of light pain in her stomach, making her half-double over. But Khriss focused on everything at once. "Thank you, Gryphon." he said, hugging his daughter, who had begun to cry, with one arm. "She's gone into labor. We need to get her inside, quickly. EVERYONE OUT OF THE WAY!" He growled, spreading all eight of his wings in an impressive display that... had everyone moving out of the way. The Seraph put his daughter down.

"Madam, could you bring our little girl inside? thank you." Without awaiting an answer, his pair-bonded was picked up and he strode inside, his larger two pairs of wings folding on his back as we went up the stairs swiftly, to a room he promised to pay for later, from a sweet inn-keeper, thankfully.
^
Left in the yard with the short, pretty women who had spoken and the little girl who clung to the women hand Garvan didn't quite know what to do. A feeling that he was unfamiliar with at best and uncomfortable with at worst.

He turned to the women and looked her over more carefully before shrugging his wings, "Well... guess we should head inside. Oh, and I am Garvan..." He raised a paw in greeting before leaning in closer and saying quietly, "I would stow those things away better once inside if I were you." With that, he winked and started to head inside.

--------------------
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
Aerro blinked. "Aerro here." She tilted her head back as he leaned in, a shiver going down her spine.

Her pack was secured, and not overly bulging. The stolen items were safely mixed in with her actual supplies, and everything she'd stolen had been from the next town over. She was stressed and overly worried about things falling out, yes, but she'd been doing this for years. She was sure she didn't seem suspicious, at least not enough to warrant that comment.

Which just left the possibilities of either mind reading, or knowing her somehow. She worked for a few guilds before and he could have heard of her, but that was years ago. The thought that someone would remember her description for all those years and be able to pick her out was unsettling.

She watched him turn for a moment before following. Once inside she followed the commotion upstairs, stopping to stow her pack in her own room before continuing to the one that was newly occupied. She leaned against the doorframe, but didn't stick her head inside for privacy's sake, instead making sure to speak loudly.

"Do you have a midwife already, or are you traveling?"

--------------------
^
Khrisstopher popped his head out of the room, to look at the Dwarf with a disheveled look upon his features. "We're traveling, We didn't expect her to be due so soon, If you could help, that would be highly appreciated." he said, looking to his daughter. "Angy, dear... C'mere." He picked her up, glancing at his pairbond in the room, a bead of sweat on her forehead.

"I... Gryphon, sir, could you look after her? She'll just into trouble otherwise..." He asked politely, While his daughter smiled innocently. But she was, in all honesty, an innocent little two-year-old.
^
Startled but the request, Garvan stared at Khriss in silence for a moment. The idea that any would entrust their children to him was a new experience for him...

"It would be a pleasure to be of help..." he said hesitantly, unsure of his ability to care for the small and very soft child. Then with great care, to avoid hurting her with his beak, Garvan took Angy from Kriss and placed her between his wings. She settled down and started the run her fingers through his soft feathers.

"We shall take her with as Aerro and I go locate the local healer or midwife."

As soon as the words left his mouth, Garvan wasn't sure why he had volunteered to get more involved with this situation. Especially as he felt that he was more than a little out of his depth in the first place, and second why he had included Aerro in the offered task.

Maybe, he speculated, it was a subconscious effort to find some ground that he was familiar with.

--------------------
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
Aerro swallowed, immediately unnerved. This seemed like a convoluted setup, Garvan bringing her along, but she doubted the couple and child would have figured into any original plans a disgruntled guild member would make. He could be a bounty hunter, but that didn't add up. She hadn't pulled any extravagant heists, she was careful. She had a limit of items per house, houses per area. But if he had this many resources and information and was indeed after her...she ran a hand through her hair and let out a shaky breath.

Either way she didn't trust him alone with a child.

"First we should try to have the innkeep send word. I'm a traveler myself, so I would be starting with asking the people here anyway. I don't think you'd want your child running off into town with two strangers, at least Garvan should stay in the inn. If somebody needs to make a run across town, I can do it, or you can leave the child with me here in the inn while Garvan does it. In my opinion," she spoke up, successfully managing to keep her voice steady. She then glanced to Garvan and the child, forcing her expression to stay confident.

She wouldn't resist if they forced the issue, but there was no reason she saw to leave the inn with Garvan while she had to worry about keeping a kid safe. If he insisted on running into town with their daughter of course she'd have to follow, but there had had to be a better way.

--------------------
^
Khriss watched his daughter with a sigh. He glanced at both of them thankfully. "Thank you, both of you. I-I should get back to my pair-bond, I'm not the most skilled, but I have some healing. I can do minimal things to assist." With that, he closed the door, going back to Jhess.

Meanwhile, Angy was having fun playing with the Gryphon's feathers. She seemed... to almost glow, and should anyone be close enough, they would feel... odly relaxed, and probably calmer.
^
Garvan watched the door close, still a small part of him hoping that he would find a way out this odd situation that he had embroiled himself into somehow... It was then that he felt a wave of calmness ease over his shoulders as he sensed the faint tingle of magic.

Turning his head almost right around he eyed the child sitting upon his back.

"You...." he started to say then paused "would possibly like something sweet wouldn't you?" Angy looked up and smiled as she nodded,

Turning back to Aerro, Garvan smiled and shrugged at her expression, the effect of the calming magic easing his natural guard down, "All children love sweet things. Anyway it might take her mind off being away from her parents."

--------------------
― J.R.R. Tolkien
^
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Erratic

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply