by tooth & claw dragons

where darkness and chaos reign...
Welcome to the land of dragons and elves; demons and death. Here, you may weave tales of all creatures, great and small - magic is found in everything, and many worlds one can explore are open for discovery. By Tooth And Claw Dragons, often shortened to BTACD, is an original high fantasy role-play site with over eighty species and ten solid worlds, fifteen years strong. Freedom of creativity is boundless within the established lore, and member suggestions are not only accepted, but encouraged. We release new content monthly, and are always expanding our wondrous Realms. Come and play with magic, honor the great gods, and beware the balance that governs all...

Add Reply

Hippocampus
So Hippocampus is front half horse, back half fish.

Their horse half can come in a variety of colors, patterns, and sizes. They have cloven hooves, sometimes webbed, and have long, flowing manes. Occasionally they are depicted with horns (of varying kinds), but this is a rare mutation in pure Hippocampus.

Their fish half can be just as diverse as the horse half, but it is always a fish. Hippocampus can have a great number of fins, or have a smooth fishtail. There is no end to the combinations possible.

Hippocampus are noble creatures, and often serve as steeds to merfolk under the sea, and occasionally to surface dwellers who need to cross the ocean. Hippocampi are incredibly protective, and are often charged as guards to castles and temples in merfolk cities. There are even cases of Hippocampi being seen protecting temples located near rivers and lakes.

Pictures of them are used on the crests of royal merfolk families, and the two species are so intertwined that images of the two acting as equals in society can be found in ancient texts.

They do not speak with their voices, but instead with a form of telepathy that allows them to audibly broadcast their thoughts. They are incredibly swift and strong, easily riding up the rough waves of a stormy sea.

Aside from their speed and strength, Hippocampi possess little in the ways of magical prowess, but they are gifted in the use of reiatsu to create barriers and push opponents away. Their sharp, cloven hooves and muscular tails serve as weapons should their enemy break through.

Very rarely, a Hippocampus will be born with a pair of feathered wings, resembling the fabled Pegasus. These individuals are sent to work at the castle in the capital city, and serve as the king's messengers.

These creatures hold the ability to live outside of the water, though their mobility on land is extremely clumsy.

Subspecies: I haven't thought of a good name aside from "Uncommon Hippocampus" or just "Capricorn".

Basically, these subspecies have the front ends of varying hoofed animals, like gazelle, goat, ibex, deer, etc, while still retaining their fishy rear ends. they are not nearly as revered in merfolk culture, and are often vagrants who spend a good part of their life moving from place to place, most commonly freshwater inlets and rivers. They're more social, and mingle with other species.

They are also gifted in reiatsu use, and are fast like their counterparts, but they lack the physical strength regular hippocampi possess (unless the front half is, say, a buffalo). They are more prone to being flighty, often choosing flight over fight, though larger varieties will stand their ground.
^
Already stated my opinion on the hippocampi becoming a subspecies on the kelpie thread, but I'd like to discuss that subspecies (if it becomes one) here, instead of taking up the other one needlessly. xD

HOWEVER-

Basically, these subspecies have the front ends of varying hoofed animals, like gazelle, goat, ibex, deer, etc, while still retaining their fishy rear ends. they are not nearly as revered in merfolk culture, and are often vagrants who spend a good part of their life moving from place to place, most commonly freshwater inlets and rivers. They're more social, and mingle with other species.

They are also gifted in reiatsu use, and are fast like their counterparts, but they lack the physical strength regular hippocampi possess (unless the front half is, say, a buffalo). They are more prone to being flighty, often choosing flight over fight, though larger varieties will stand their ground.

GUH. LOVE THIS. *A* I think call them capricorns. That'd be amazing, and just a third subspecies. I want one now so bad. Dx

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
"you do know I have the worst memory in the high desert right"
"that's a lie, you just fill your memory with all things BTACD related"
^
To reiterate Blazeh their own post:
On that note also, perhaps hippocampi can take the form of a merperson for a very small amount of time to be able to transform into human and walk the land? But limited; the sea's also a lot bigger and with a lot more freedom than leetle bogs and things :3

Hmm, perhaps for one week per year?

Also like the capricorn idea~

How intelligent should they be? The same as dragons, or a bit less so? I'd be inclined to say less so for the capricorns (capable of communication between themselves and other intelligent sea creatures?) but the same as dragons for hippocampi themselves.

Life expectancy? I'd say a couple of hundred years, at least. Perhaps a little shorter than Kelpies?
^
I'll let you two finish hashing out Hippocami/Kelpies c: I just laid out the building blocks XD

Perhaps merge the threads?
^
Nah, let's keep the main species an subspecies separate for now (: And merge once info is gathered and pages are ready to be written.

Hmm. TINY bit less intelligence as dragons maybe xD Since I see these as not incredibly capable of winning a battle in cunning as a dragon.

Verridith; GOT THAT RIGHT, FOO'

...*stares at the Gold*

Kila pfft, you created it! Speak your thoughts :3

--------------------
user posted image
^
I see Hippocampi as being more sentient than Kelpies, tbh XD Kelpies just strike me as mindless killing machines.
^
Ooh. Okay (: Also could put in something to say that hippocampi were helped in their intelligence by mermaids. Maybe merfolk took a liking to hippocampi more than kelpies.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Aquatic equines who are close allies to merfolk. They live in small herds, often close to merfolk cities and settlements, over which they display highly protective behavior.

Name: Hippocampus

Average lifespan: 500 years.

Average height: 15 hands (5 feet) at the shoulder.

Average weight: 900 pounds.

Location found: Abroad, anywhere there's water.

Appearance;; The forequarters of a hippocampus looks much like a terrestrial horse, complete with hooves and manes. However, their hooves come in many variations, from horse-like to cloven and webbed. Some have fins protruding from their manes, and rarely horns. The hindquarters of a hippocampus is fish-like, although the exact shape and design varies greatly among the species. Coloring is usually silvery blue or green, reminiscent of fish scales, although colors vary widely even among herds.<p>

Tactics;; Close allies of merfolk and selkies, hippocampi live in small herds which can often be found living near merfolk settlements. Noble creatures, they are highly protective of their allies, and often serve as guards of merfolk cities, or mounts to their aquatic allies. While it is rare to see them on the surface, they will occasionally appear to help shipwreck victims, or ferry people across the sea.<p>

Abilities;; While they lack much by the way of true magic, they can use their reiatsu to create barriers against attack. They are powerful swimmers, fast and agile, and use their strength, tails, and hooves against their enemies. If a hippocampus is gifted with elemental magic, they will most often trend towards water or ice, rarely anything else. While they prefer to spend their time in the water, they can surface and move on land for short amounts of time. Since they lack hind legs, their movements on land resemble those of seals. While they do not speak, they communicate via mind-speech.<p>

Subspecies;

Kelpie
Classification: Carnivorous, aquatic equines. Location: Abroad.

Vicious creatures, kelpies take on the form of normal horses while on land, where they lure unwitting victims towards them. Once the victim either places their hand on the kelpie, or mounts on its back, they will be stuck, having fallen victim to the adhesive, resin-like slime coating the kelpie's body. The helpless victim will be dragged or carried into the water and drowned before being eaten.<p>

Underwater, the kelpie resembles a corrupted hippocampus, dark in color and slick and slimy in texture. Otherwise, they are very similar to the hippocampi in overall appearance, aside from their long mouths, sharp teeth, and overly large eyes. Not as smart or civilized as the hippocampi, kelpies are nonetheless cunning creatures.<p>

Capricorn
Classification: Non-equine hippocampi. Location: Abroad.

Very similar to normal hippocampi aside from one glaring difference. The front half of their bodies resemble any kind of non-equine hooved animal. Deer, goats, rams, buffalo, any many others have all been reported. Generally more frivolous than normal hippocampi, the capricorns are light-hearted and often flighty, although the larger ones are usually more stolid. As their appearances are very diverse, so too are their overall sizes, influenced by what creatures their forequarters resemble.
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply