by tooth & claw dragons

where darkness and chaos reign...
Welcome to the land of dragons and elves; demons and death. Here, you may weave tales of all creatures, great and small - magic is found in everything, and many worlds one can explore are open for discovery. By Tooth And Claw Dragons, often shortened to BTACD, is an original high fantasy role-play site with over eighty species and ten solid worlds, fifteen years strong. Freedom of creativity is boundless within the established lore, and member suggestions are not only accepted, but encouraged. We release new content monthly, and are always expanding our wondrous Realms. Come and play with magic, honor the great gods, and beware the balance that governs all...
Forum Rules Setting Information

All information on the current country can be found here:

Country of Vystriana

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Not a single word., Matt and Concinnity
PLAYERS INVOLVED: Twisted Matt, Concinnity

SETTING: In the valley east of Albronel

WEATHER: Just past dusk, slightly cloudy and rather chilly.

TIME: Current

CHARACTERS INVOLVED: Firelan Deringhar (Matt), Aelina (Concinnity)

Darkness had blanketed the land when Firelan realized his mistake. He had gone too far from home today, his home being the little cave that he had transformed into a sort of house. Typically, he was back there by dusk, but he was desperate for good iron to work with, so he had gone a few miles farther out to tap new salvage spots. He had only come back with food, not a single ounce of metal all along his route.

His worn boots tapped on the stone beneath him as he wandered home. He was nervous... visibly so, he looked over his shoulder every so often, eyes roaming to every possible point where he could be attacked from, where he could go...

Two men jumped out from the treeline on either side of him, to his surprise. "Stop!" They shouted, "You're coming with us!" This only warranted the boy to take flight. In a panic, he spread his wings and pounded them upwards, getting off the ground quickly and throwing dirt and small rocks at the two men. He was a flurry of feathers and fear, it was surprising how he was able to get himself off the ground so fast.

One might assume he would have escaped them with ease, but they grabbed him by the leg and threw him to the ground, breaking his left wing. No telling how much pain that caused him, but his violence only increased with it. He lashed out with all he had, kicking, biting, scratching... he broke himself free and began to run down the stone road. He needed his sword, badly, but it was a mile away in his makeshift workshop. It was the only place he could think of escaping to.

The soles of boots smashed into the rocks below. The race was on, and Firelan was losing it.

(First post in a looooooooong long time. Hope you like it!)
^
Aeliana was fuming, words and curses followed her faintly as she moved through the woods like her alias, shadow. Her violet eyes flashed occasionally as a little bit of fading light caught them, she silver strips shone out of her black coat and as she moved her tail flicked in irritation at the situation that she found herself in.

In actuality, she could care less about whatever the latest war was about, she just couldn't be bothered to try and keep up with the stupid. And if she was honest, often times war was good for business, people got scared and start to hoard their money, stuffing it under mattresses and in safes.

But this war, the Faction, she reflexively hissed at the name it had ruined her career. How was she to steal anything if there was nothing to steal or steal from.

It was then that she heard the faint sounds of voices in the distance, her finely tuned feline ears picking up the muted sounds with ease.

Quick as lightning she was crouching down behind a bush, her tight black pants pulling across her knees and her boots digging into the loam.

She listened intently for a while, small snippets and change in voices telling her that not too far away there was a small Faction camp.

With caution, she moved forward, staying low and hugging the intermittent shrubbery. As she neared the cap she crawled forward and snuggled down into the dirt just behind a rotten log on a small rise behind the camp.

Hidden, she could see a large portion of the camp below, she pulled her dark green long coat tight about her vested top and settled in to wait for a little while. She had never been one for revenge but, maybe it would ease some of her pain about needing to leave the comforts of Felnova.

This post has been edited by Concinnity: Apr 30 2018, 07:09 AM

--------------------
CHARACTERS =Cyra, Alucius, Myth, Titius, Garvan, Thia, Aeliana, Terva, Bruttia, Helena, Ru, Evandor, Tiberius, Varden, Merlyn,Relius, Tristan (Triss), Teal, Adrian

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

Valerian, Tovran, Lithan, Talia, Arrian

(Red is for characters in Current Threads! ALL are still open for Lore or Historical threads)
^
With no help in sight, and his only chance of fighting these men off a long way away, the faction soldiers caught him once more. He felt a shift in his balance, weight suddenly added to his back, and he was taken to the ground. He was too tired to struggle out again, and his last bit of resistance was met with a swift blow to the head.

When he awoke, he was shackled inside of something, blindfolded and dizzy. He gripped the posts near his hands, they were cold and hard, which meant they were metal. He heard footsteps, voices, and a crackling fire. Some sort of camp, perhaps? He wasn’t sure. It wasn’t where he was attacked, he knew that much. He could be a day’s walk from his home for all he knew...

He needed to escape. Shifting forms would be too obvious, there was likely to be someone watching him at all times. He tried for the lock. He grabbed at the chains, at the cuffs, at where they were wrapped to the post… aha! There it was. Now what? Well… He let go of it, silently cursing himself for thinking that would go anywhere. He tried wrestling the cuffs off, but only made his wrists raw trying.

Finally he gave up. He knew freedom wouldn’t last forever… Nobody would come for him, nobody would miss him. If he was lucky, the forge would still be there if he ever got a chance to go back. For now… who knows who he would be sold to.
^
As night fell two cap guards dragged in a sorry figure. Skinny, unconscious and with and with a broken wing he was in a sad state.

Aeliana watched as the pulled him into a tent and set a guard at the door...

It was not that her heartstrings were pulled, it was that she knew that the Faction did not believe in second chances or mistakes. What better way to cause some small bit pain to those below than to turn their own system against them.

Happy with the plan she settled down to wait until most had gone to sleep naturally.

She did not have to wait long, soon after the evening meal of rations had been consumed, most of the camp had either curled up around the fires or retreated to the few tents. Leaving only about five awake to guard the camp and the prisoner. Five, she could handle with ease.

With care, she crept towards the camp until she was close enough to feel the minds within the camp, the low glimmers of the sleeping ones, the unease flickering of the guards and the blazing fear of the prisoner.

She ducked behind a small bush, relying on the darkness to hide her as she took a deep breath as cast the guards to sleep. One by one the guards yawed and lay down to sleep where they stood. After a few minutes, all that could be heard in the camp were soft snores and the crackling of the dying fires.

With a smile she stood up and boldly walked into the camp, her soft boots making little sound to awaken the naturally sleeping. Unhurried, she moved through the camp, picking the pockets of the unknowing sleepers, she would need a little traveling cash after she was made to abandon all of her hard earned money back in the city, as she made her way to the tent and the point of her being there.

Stuffing the last few Jaden into her coat pocket, Aeliana stepped over the snoring guard and ducked into the tent.

The prisoner was younger than she had expected, with a blindfold covering his eyes he head turned to the sound of the canvas flap brushing against her coat.

"Hush now, I am going to take off your blindfold." She bent and yanked the rough cloth from his eyes, smiling in the dark of the tent to show that she came in peace, the last thing she wanted was him to get the wrong impression and let out a yell.

The young winged man just stared at her silently, it was a little unnerving in a way, not a who are you or a thank you or anything to be heard from him.

"Why don't you tell me your name while I get these chains off?"

She knelt beside him and extended a finely honed claw, which she placed in the lock and started to feel about for the tumblers. And as she worked she watched the young man sit silently beside her, he had not answered her question. As the first lock came undone and his one hand came free he moved and she saw the runes at this throat.

Leaning in close to see in the dark of the tent, she read the three runes and then raised her eyes to meet his,

"Well, that explains your silence...." Unsettled by what had been done to the fearful young man she turned back to the job of setting him free.

Within a minute the second shackle fell free and she pulled him up by the arm, turning to him she explained quietly what was going to happen,

"There is a guard sleeping across the entrance way to the tent, step with care and be silent. I have only cast a few into a deep sleep if you make a noise or trip over one of them the rest of the camp shall spring to life and then both of us will be in a pickle. Do you understand?"

--------------------
CHARACTERS =Cyra, Alucius, Myth, Titius, Garvan, Thia, Aeliana, Terva, Bruttia, Helena, Ru, Evandor, Tiberius, Varden, Merlyn,Relius, Tristan (Triss), Teal, Adrian

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

(Red is for characters in Current Threads! ALL are still open for Lore or Historical threads)
^
It was odd when he heard someone step in. He wasn't sure the time of day, or how long he had been there, but... generally a visitor wasn't a good sign. A buyer, maybe? His history as a slave wasn’t exactly a secret, and he’d sell for a high price with runes and his talents. No, it was more likely an executioner. These people didn’t seem to enjoy giving out second chances. He wasn’t easy to kill, so he’d suffer pretty greatly… He shivered at that thought.

One could only imagine his surprise when he heard a friendly voice, and could see again. In silence he stared up at the figure, uneasy, frightened even. Why was she freeing him? She didn't seem the type to play heroics, and something told him she was very powerful. More importantly… who WAS she?

No time to ask. His hands were free, and he shifted himself up, pausing when she took an interest in his neck. He’d heard that line a hundred times before, usually a potential buyer enjoying the work that had been done on him already. This seemed a bit more sympathetic, a bit more sincere in a sense.

He stood and dusted himself off, listening to her speak. Directions, orders, whatever you may call them, his mind only let him follow them. He poked his head out of the tent, looking at the guard in the way, then carefully stepping over, holding his broken wing up so it didn't hit him. He looked around once he was clear of the guard… still dark, and everyone was asleep. Fires dying, guards had either disappeared into tents or fallen asleep at their posts. Talk about luck… He was pretty sure there was a greater power than luck here, but he didn’t think too deeply on it. He waited on the Felris that had saved his sorry hide... escaping this camp was a priority, but he wasn't going to take off without her. He didn't want to be chased down a second time.

This post has been edited by Twisted Matt: May 5 2018, 02:40 PM
^
Once outside of the tent and in the better light, she noticed that the young man's one wing was broken.

With a quiet sigh, she motioned for him to follow, checking in the tents as they passed until she saw what she was looking for, the medical bag that all Faction troops carried with them on patrol.

With the ease and quiet of a seasoned thief, this stepped into the tent and lifted it off the sleeping captain's table.

Edging out of the tent she then made her way directly out the camp and into the gloom of the forest, almost silently she led him through the trees until they were well away from the camp.

Stopping under an Elm, Aeliana motioned for the strange young man to sit.

Checking where they were and just gaining her bearings she eyed him as he looked at her. She now that she had gotten him away from the Faction she didn't quite know what to do with him, sending him on his way almost seemed cruel as he was obviously not doing well on his own... but she wasn't the type to have stragglers following her around either...

Mentally shrugging the question away she sat down in front of him and tilted her head slightly to the right,

"First," she said, her voice still soft in the still night air, "My name is Aeliana.

Second, can you write or communicate in any way?

Third and most importantly, " she motioned to her neck, "I noticed the healing rune, will it fix your wing or do I need to set it? I grabbed the bag just in case."

Gently she settled her hand on the top of the bag she had stolen.

--------------------

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

^
Following Aelina wasn't hard, thankfully. No reason it shouldn't be... He settled down under that tree she found and took a breather, distancing himself from his previous situation to deal with the current one. He had seen this spot before, this nice elm tree with a few marking scratches from wildlife in the area. He knew the way home from here.

He did know how to write, so he tried to communicate that, motioning like he was writing with an invisible pen on his hand. As for the wing, he waved her off, it wouldn't heal with his rune so he would have to set it himself.

He looked to his wing with a frown, gently holding it and gritting his teeth as he pulled the broken bone away from the other, and properly aligning them back together. There was a sickening sound, flesh moving, bone grinding at bone... But it was done in a mere moment. He looked as if he had done that a hundred times before, and it had never gotten easier to deal with, only easier to hide how awful it felt.

With that out of the way, he stood, gesturing for her to follow him. They would need to get back to his home, much safer there at the least.
^
As Aleiana sat and carefully watched the mute young man before her he nodded and motioned that he could write. The waved towards his damaged wing and before her startled eyes pulled the bone back into place.

Standing as though nothing had happened he motioned for her to follow as he lead the way deeper into the woods.

Standing, Aleiana paused for a moment before bending and picking up the bag and following. Her tail flicking in a moment of uncertainty at the idea of following a strange to who knows where, but then she remembered that just a short while ago he had followed her without knowing her.

--------------------

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

^
She was following. Good. He'd made some paper and "borrowed" a nice pencil from a trader he'd met a few months back on the road. He would be able to explain more to her there, back home.

It was a quiet few moments in the woods, and about two miles of walking before the boy's hideout was visible in the distance. The construction was minimalistic and sturdy, rough cut lumber as the material, stone pavers for the ground, a set of stairs, roofing, and platforms for his various necessities. A few torches burned slowly, illuminating it just enough to see the ground. It was home, at least.

He started up the stairs, silently cursing his skill as a carpenter as a few steps creaked under his rather light weight. They didn't stop him, of course. He motioned for Aelina to follow him as he stepped into one of the rooms. The smell of fresh produce and salt-cured meats faintly wafted through the air, and if his companion followed him to the room, she would discover an array of fresh veggies, hanging game meats and jerky, and the occasional loaf of poorly crafted bread. It was edible, at least.

On the back wall was a few rough stones of salt, and shelves full of different tools and materials. He pulled a piece of paper off a high shelf, and retrieved his pencil from a lockbox. He started writing quickly, eager to properly greet his guest at the very least. When he was done writing, he handed off his paper to the thief with a polite smile.

"I apologize for my lack of a voice, miss Aelina. I lost it in years past, it's a long story... but my name is Firelan, and I'm very pleased to meet you. To answer your earlier question, my wing will heal with a decent brace, my rune will not fix that. I'll mend it myself, you've done more than enough to help me. In the meantime you're more than welcome to my food and beds, as well as anything else you might deem useful. Thank you for getting me out of that place."

This post has been edited by Twisted Matt: May 17 2018, 05:30 PM
^
Aeliana followed him in silence, comfortable with the quiet as the moved through the darkened trees. Finally, she caught a glimmer of light ahead, a small ramshackle cottage stood raised amongst the trees.

Motioning for her to follow the silent young man led the way up a set of squicky stairs and into a dimly light room, the scents of curing ham and freshly gathered foods. Reminding her that she hadn't eaten since her light lunch.

Quickly he hurried across the room and gathered up a pencil and paper, hurriedly writing down a message. As he did so she took the time to take a good look around the room, at the rough chairs and table. Dark doorways lead off to other rooms and from somewhere their came the sent of a forge. Hot metal and burning wood lingered in the air.

She settled the bag down on the back of a chair as he handed her the parchment. Quickly she read what he had said and they looked up at him.

"Well, it is very nice to meet you Firelan. I cannot lie and say I helped you from the goodness of my heart. Mostly it was because I felt that the loss of you would cause trouble for the Faction. I have little love for them. However, I am glad to have added you as well as cause some discomfort to our mutual enemies." Here she smiled warmly, showing the tips of her fangs, "And I can help with bracing that wing, an extra set of paws couldn't harm."

--------------------

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

^
"I'll leave it to pure luck that I was your blow against the faction. Thank you nonetheless. You're welcome to my food stores, and you may rest here for the night if you so wish... But do know I will be packing my things and leaving for a new realm come daybreak tomorrow. This realm has been nothing but trouble since I arrived... If you wish to join me, your company would be welcomed."

He left that note with her and nodded, rustling through shelves to prepare some of his cured elk with some fresh veggies, setting them on the table. He chopped up a rather sizable portion of lettuce, peppers, tomato, and meat into a sort of salad with jerky on it, and spread a bit of vinegar and wild herbs over the mix. The scent filled the air, freshly grown food and well cured meat giving off a slight sweet and salty mix, the vinegar only adding it's own tune to the symphony of flavors and smells. It wasn't presented fancily or anything, just a salad, a plate, and a fork, but it still just LOOKED good.

It occurred to him that he had a guest, and he offered the plate he had prepared to Aelina. He had plenty enough for himself as well... and he could tell someone who hadn't had much in the way of a nice meal in a while. She seemed to fall in that category.

This post has been edited by Twisted Matt: May 27 2018, 10:29 PM
^
As she read the note her smile widened and looking up at Firelan she said, "Great minds think alike. I was on my way out of the realm myself. I was heading towards the Icemark Marker and then portaling from there and head to Millirand."

Aeliana paused when offered what looked like a delicious salad, she nodded her thanks and then continued talking as she took her first mouthful, watching Firelan make another plate of food for himself.

"If you are heading that way yourself then it would be nice to have some company. My life is normally a solitary one."

--------------------

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

^
"That was my destination as well... There's a place that I need to visit in Millirand, you won't have to accompany me that far, but it may do you well to."

He handed the note back, and prepared his own food the same way, fresh veggies, dried meat, and vinegar dressing. It was a stable of his diet, at least. Not to mention he made a damn fine dressing out of essentially nothing... which reminded him.

He wandered over to the part where the shelving intercepted, and poked his head into the corner, digging out a dusty bottle. It was some wine he had been saving, presumably he had stolen it because there was no way he could've afforded it, but he imagined that the feline would understand it. Along with it were two glasses, beautifully forged chalices that he had created himself. No time like the present to enjoy the finer things life had to offer... He uncorked the bottle with a small pop, poured a half full glass, and slid it over to the thief. He smiled to her, then poured his own, and finally sat down to eat.
^
Aeliana perked up when she read the note, the part of her that was always looking out for things that were to her betterment raised its head.

"Well, colour me tempted." she said to Firelan as she put the paper down and watched him make another plate of food as she ate her own. The tang and flavours settling the hunger in her stomach.

But it was when Firelan pulled out two of the most wonderful looking chalices that she had seen in many a long year she sat up a little straighter, food forgotten. They were obviously important to him, thus the nook that he kept them in and no wonder. Taking the one that he had given her she slowly turned the glass in her hands, letting the light play across it, admiration of the workmanship plain on her face.

"These are beautiful indeed, Firelan. Where did you get them?" She looked up, a sparkle in her eye.

--------------------

(Pair-Bonded)

Rochlan, Reunan,

(Bonded)

^
PLOT RANDOM EVENT!
user posted image
EARTHQUAKE!

Oh no! An earthquake has stricken the area in which your characters are located in! It can be as big or as little as you want, just remember to make it happen!

You have 5 posts to work this plot event into your thread! Thank you!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
"you do know I have the worst memory in the high desert right"
"that's a lie, you just fill your memory with all things BTACD related"
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply